Oct 6, 2004

World on Fire

So I just watched Sarah McLachlan's video for her song, "World on Fire," and it's totally one of those eye-opening/make you feel worthless moments. She talks about how it usually costs $150,000 to produce your average music video (though we know there are a ton that cost much more), and she does this big crazy thing about how they donated $150,000 all over the world to show what it could do. Like feed a village, or send kids to school for a year, etc.

I love seeing things like that to give me a reality check and look at my life and be reminded of my place, but I also hate them for making me feel like an ass for buying expensive jeans or sitting here in this house with all this stuff. I know we can't be expected to give up all of our luxuries and fortune to the third world, just because a buck there could do so much more, but I guess that's the problem. That you end up feeling helpless and useless to the situation that's just been presented in front of you, and suddenly you want to be a superhero and save the world, but how the hell do you do that (unless you're Oprah)? I guess you just do what you can and remind yourself constantly.

It is strange, though, how when a song suddenly has new meaning attached to it, you listen to it SO much differently than you did before. I kind of love that idea.
Go here to see the video (you have to have iTunes... go figure) and read about the donations:

http://www.worldonfire.ca/


Current music: World on Fire, by Sarah McLachlan
Current mood: contemplative

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails