Oct 21, 2004

The Curse is over! GO SOX!

WOW. What a sweet night. I'm still glued to the TV coverage because I get chills everytime they show the last play and all the guys rushing the field. We had the same crew at Huan's place, sitting in the same seats (and yes, I wore the same shirt-- not because I thought it was lucky, but just because I'm lazy, or maybe dirty, who knows). Damn, talk about improbable. I remember before game 4 I was thinking, Ok, here comes the sweep, and how sad I felt for the Sox, like they'd come so far for nothing.

And now they're AL Champs and are going onto the World Series!! After Johnny's 2nd inning Grand Slam, I was definitely like, whoa, something's going on here. I was tempted to even say that God was watching. It was incredible. I told Adrienne that tomorrow she should wear her Johnny Damon shirt to work. It's brilliant; it reads W.W.J.D.D. at the top, then below, a sketch of Johnny strangely resembling Jesus, and it says The Passion of Johnny beneath. So fitting for tonight, huh? Whoo! We're witnesses to sports history right now-- probably one of the most significant baseball games/series we'll ever see! It doesn't get any more exciting than that. And to think the Sox still have another series to go! They totally have it in the bag (they had better!). Wow. For now it looks like a fun night to be in Boston, though.
Congrats to the Red Sox, Boston, and all the diehard fans.
That was some badass baseball.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



[Edit: I'm going to comment now on the bandwagon effect. My friend noted that after the game, there was an overwhelming number of people posting bad things about the Yanks in their away message, how glad they were that they lost, Go Sox, Yanks suck, etc... I definitely think there is an anti-Yankee bandwagon (duh). For me, it started basically when they robbed the Orioles in the ALCS (see previous post re: Jeffrey Maier), and I've pretty much hated them since. But it definitely seems as though the anti-Yanks sentiment is growing, and now it's even turning over to become pro-Sox, which is something completely different. It's almost like the opposite of fair weather fans. Strange concept, I guess. I may be guilty of said trend, as I have a place in my heart for both the Sox and the Cubs, the ultimate underdogs each with a Cinderella story and supposed "curse," so desperate to win, with such devoted fans... Anyway, I don't know what the point of all that was. Just wanted to comment on the Anti-Yanks --> Sox fanhood movement that seems to naturally happen and is clearly happening now, and the concept of "posers" and the fine line that we "postseason fans" walk.]


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails