Oct 13, 2004

Happy Birthday Dad!

Happy Birthday to my awesome pops.

We were up this morning before work to give him his card and gift-- a new 40 GB iPod! How fun. We are officially an iPod family. My dad was really excited; he had been talking about one for a while. Now I know it'll be my job to put his ridiculously huge CD catalog of Vietnamese/French/Classical/Celine Dion, etc. onto the iPod. It should be fun, in the this-is-taking-hours-and-days kind of way, but I don't mind, because I'm always happy to share iPod joy. It's also a 4th generation, so I'll be able to tell you once and for all which model I think reigns supreme! (wow, I get a little excited sometimes)

Since we're on the subject, here's the latest about plans for Apple's 60 GB iPod:

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0410photoipod.html

and another, if you want a real "news source" (even though their primary source is the above article):

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/10/12/tech.apple.reut/index.html


I really didn't think they'd go to the 60 gig format, because the number of people who really need that much space makes up such a small fraction of the mp3-buying public. But hell, I'd take one. All the music throughout your life- you're eventually going to fill that up! The only problem is, after a while, it gets so hard to even navigate through your 20 gigs. Anytime I turn on my iPod it's like, ahhh! I don't know what I want to listen to, just pick something, anything! And you forget what you have because it's not as visual or tangible as your CD shelf.

As for the iPhoto idea-- I think that's just dumb. Enough with the bells and whistles on these things. I do have fun every once in a while with the phone on my camera, but generally I find these extras to be silly, especially for a music player as sweet as the iPod, which does need anything else to make it cool. It's ridiculous how much Apple has me whipped, isn't it? I'm a slave to their marketing. Their new U2 commercial can only do good things.

That's my iPod pitch for the day. Sorry, I re-obsess once in a while. Oook. Happy birthday again, Dad! You're still as hip as ever!


Current Music: Twilight, by Elliott Smith
(If you have not heard any of his new album yet, you must. It's Elliott's posthumous release, From a Basement on a Hill, and it is beautifully crafted and has been on constant play for me in recent weeks. Even without the musical/historical significance of it, it's completely worthwhile)
Current Mood: the sweatpants type of mood

Related Posts with Thumbnails