Oct 14, 2004

New loyal readers

Well, my mom caught wind of my blog after dinner tonight, and then it was chaos as my dad joined in behind her, then my aunt, then my uncle, then my gramps-- reading through, laughing-out-loud, asking questions (how did you get that picture on there?!), and so on.

So it appears I'm now definitely expanding my audience, and there is a true "adult" cohort now. That doesn't mean anything will change, of course, but it will likely make me more embarassed about saying some things or other things, just as I was embarassed and went into the other room as they all gathered 'round the computer monitor tonight to ooh and ahh.

Anyway- The debate was entertaining tonight. It was a pretty close one, though. I thought Kerry came out strong at the beginning but faltered a bit when discussing his huge Health Care plan and how he would actually do it. Bush, though, completely avoided the jobs question and started talking about education, which was interesting. Kind of saying that if we learn to read we can get jobs. There seemed to be a bit of disconnect there, for me. And there was more rhetoric later about "making schools accountable," and "setting standards," and "rewarding" schools that do well... but, see previous post, how do you allow the low-income schools to achieve these lofty goals?

Bush's jokes that fell flat had me laughing, in an ironic way, as did his facial expressions, as usual. I loved when he said, in response to Kerry's suggestion that he wasn't concerned w/ Osama Bin Laden: "It's kind of one of those ex-agg-er-a-tions." Hilarious.

I kind of cringed when Kerry had to bring up Cheney's daughter during the homosexuality answer. I get the idea behind it, but when Kerry/Edwards speak about it, it ends up sounding like she is the only gay person they have ever known. It's just awkward.
I did like how they finally talked about Affirmative Action, and Kerry stuck him good when he said Bush didn't meet with the NAACP.

Did anyone hear Kerry say "idear" though? Oooh that one really hurt. It's IDEA, buddy. Although I guess that doesn't bother me as much as "nucular" huh?
Ho hum. Well, guess we'll wait and see what comes of these next 20 days! Can't wait to hit the polls.


Current Music: Hook, Line, and Sinker by Jon Brion
Current Mood: a little bit weird

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

welcome to my world.

my parents both know of my blog. it's great- until you get the serious "[insert your name here], i can't believe you're thinking this way... blah blah blah" comments.

or the "why don't you consider looking at this with a 60 year old's point of view things, even though you're only 22 and did not grow up in the 50's...

actually, those comments are awesome.

PS- I'm drunk, and you're a YUT

love maggie


(do you like how the PS is not post script, but instead PRE-script????)

Related Posts with Thumbnails