Oct 17, 2004

Shall We Dance...?

I went to go see this new movie last night with my mom and dad, Auddie, and a bunch of my parents' friends. I totally expected it to be a "mostly typical and cheesy, but cute" movie (which it may have been anyway), but it was otherwise really, really great.

It's one of those perfect films to go see with your mom, because she probably loves Richard Gere, and if she's like my mom, she loves J-Lo, too.. ha ha ha.

I think I really loved it just because it had all these great dance scenes and once again reaffirmed for me that I have to learn how to really dance. I think more people should probably do just like Richard Gere did in the film, just get off the train and go! Do it! (I have some feeling that there will be trillions of people/couples who do this after watching the film) They did a great job of conveying the type of emotions and sense of being "alive!" that one can get from learning how to dance, and I just thought it was really awesome. Too bad the only moves I know are basically my old 6-armer dance (inspired by the Full House episode when Joey went on Star Search), a bad impression of the running man, and the electric slide. Hmm.



After the movie, I drove out to Georgetown to meet up with Laura (and eventually Alli & Austen; missed out on Ingrid, though, who was apparently only a block or two away at any given moment), who was back in town for the weekend. I was very glad she dragged me out, because I was beginning to get the sense that I was a 40 year old woman-type. When I was debating movie vs. going out, I was thinking 85 percent movie, 15 percent going out. And once I get into my antisocial state, it perpetuates itself and becomes so easy to always stay in, simply because I tend to forget when it's FUN to go out, and remember only the hassles of it (driving, parking, waiting in lines, getting a drink, etc.). Usually though, once I make the decision to go out and get in the proper mood for it, it's a good time and I'm glad I did it, if for no other reason than to just get out and talk to people. It was funny though, that for someone who only goes out once every month or so (if that), the first bar I walk into I see about 10 UVA people and it's just like college again... And then later, I'm sitting in the window of a different bar, and a group of guys walk by, and I'm like, "Am I still in Charlottesville?" because they are from UVA as well. Sigh... how everything changes but also stays the same.

There is something about me though, that really dislikes bar socializing. I think it's because I hate small talk, and even worse, drunk talk (especially when I'm sober). And then I hate seeing gross drunk people who can't keep their eyes open grope each other in the middle of the bar to the piano guy covering some Billy Joel song. They're kind of holding each other up, you know, and I'm like, oh, that's just embarassing!! (Ok, we've all had our embarassing drunk times and done stupid things in public, I'm not trying to deny that at all...) Maybe I'm just a big party pooper now! Unless I myself have had a few drinks, then I'm usually pretty lame in those situations. It's just too contrived and phony for me. I'm not trying to sound like a snob or be condescending-- I mean, I think everyone can agree they have felt that way to some degree at some time, about going out, or the regular bar scene. I think it's in part because I feel somewhat guilty for going out when I'm kind of a bum otherwise, and I have to go through the whole "oh yeah, I graduated blah blah... I'm still looking for a job blah blah... yeah, living at home blah blah" and I don't like having to explain myself to strangers. Plus, on top of all of that, I'm just a pure homebody and I might always prefer pajamas and couch to smoky bar and overcrowded small room (who wouldn't?-- Reason 723 that NYC rules: Smoke-free!).

Ok, that's the weekend update. Go see the dancing movie. If you are a boy, take your girlfriend or a girl; if you are a husband, take your wife, and vice versa.

[Last comment: TURN OFF YOUR CELL PHONES AT THE MOVIES. I really didn't think this happened anymore, but I realize it's not because people forget, it's just that some people don't care. The woman sitting next to me ANSWERED HER PHONE (which rang, audibly) and SPOKE INTO IT to the person on the other line. Said something like "Yeah, uh huh.. After this movie ends, ok. Yeah. .....blah blah" HEH?? Who does that? I was totally surprised that I didn't even know how to react. End lecture.]


Current Music: Leaving New York, by R.E.M.
Current Mood: Energized !


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails