Jun 22, 2005

Real World: Austin

I'm not sure what world those MTV folks are living in these days, but their version of the Real World is spiralling out of control. If that's the Real World, I'm just staying right here forever! Fortunately, we all know the truth... for MTV, it's not so much about being real as it is about the booze, hot tubs and hotties...

So yes, I tuned in to the sixteenth installment of this series tonight (God, that makes me feel old!). I knew what to expect from some previews-- more cloned characters (Wes=Abram, Danny=Ace/CT) and outrageously over-the-top exhibitionist types. It's basically one big frat party, and poor little Lacey would rather be anywhere but there. Seriously, why bother casting her, MTV? She's totally going to be the outcast, despite the fact that she's probably one of the more interesting people on the show. That's right, she doesn't need the lube of a handle of liquor to interact with her roommates, and she can go longer than 10 minutes without throwing herself at somebody or talking about sex.

Ok, so nobody forced me to watch, but let's just say that after all these years, I still tune in with the hope that a new season will actually be something interesting and refreshing and at best, worthwhile to some young and impressionable MTV viewer out there.

Sadly, I don't think it's in the cards for Austin. Melinda was quick to flash her promise ring but before we even hear another word about her boyfriend she's roaming around the house like a stripper. And Johanna had some promise before the whole drunken episode. Poor Nehemiah. First Johanna breaks his necklace in a belligerent rage, then our resident hero Danny blames him for his broken face (still have chills thinking about that, by the way).

All in all, I was uncomfortable for most of the hour premiere, yet of course, I kept watching... I really miss the days of interesting people from truly diverse backgrounds (instead of all Abercrombie model types) who would actually talk about relevant issues. Think season 1: Kevin & Julie on the sidewalk. Ah, a classic real world fight, uninduced by alcohol, about a truly important issue. And then there was season 3 with Pedro (can you imagine Bill Clinton commending any of the characters you saw tonight?) and Judd & Pam, who suddenly seem like they were 10 years older and far wiser than so many of the people from the more recent shows.

Sigh. The sad part is, I'll probably keep watching to see how these folks make complete fools out of themselves and survive Austin life... we already know they aren't exactly fan favorites with the local population (again, major ouch on Danny).

Here's my last gripe-- where are the Asian people? Too prude and reserved for the Real World hot tubs? Well, you're probably right. But shame on you for not trying harder. In sixteen years of RW history, we've seen only three
Asian women (Pam, Janet, Jamie), and not a single Asian man! That, I truly cannot believe. Unacceptable, really. Not that I'm sending my audition tape in anytime soon... I'd be far too boring for all the frat party antics. I mean, I'd usually like to wait until at least the second day before accepting "make out" dares in the hot tub...


Current Music: Five String Serenade, by Mazzy Star
Current Mood: tired, now that MTV has kept me up this late

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails