Nov 22, 2004

Oprah forever.

Today was that wonderful episode that makes you squeal and love Oprah and hate her and want to be her at the same time. Oprah's favorite things! Oprah had a studio audience full of teachers from around the country who thought they were there for a show on education. They soon found out they had earned the "hottest ticket of the season" for the favorite things show, and everyone proceeded to scream and cry like babies (I'd probably do the same, and so would you).

Then, for the next hour, one box after the next, Oprah would uncover these ridiculous gifts and before she could even talk about what they were, the crowd would start crying and screaming again. While mildly annoying, it was actually pretty awesome. From Burberry scarves to flat screen TVs, to a Maytag Washer/Dryer and a trip to a weekend spa getaway... Oprah sure knows the way into the hearts of Americans. But seriously, aside from all the sweet gifts she gave away to each and every person in the audience, it was pretty awe-inspiring to sit back and watch her in her element. She has so much pull, so much influence, and however you feel about her as a person, it's great to see her as one of the few ridiculously wealthy people (net worth: $1 billion+) out there who is so visible when it comes to her giving and using her status for the well-being of others. For that, Oprah is just badass! (And the companies that participated in her favorite things show are just brilliant, because it's clear anything she touches or talks about basically turns into gold. There's no better marketing than through Oprah herself!)

Ok, out with it, I love Oprah, even if she loves to name-drop and act like she's best friends with every celebrity in the world. It's ok! Because she's really admirable, and she's done some amazing things to change people's lives, whether here or around the world. I remember some time last year, how
I was sitting in front of the TV with tears streaming down my cheeks and a bunch of used tissues surrounding me after I watched the show about her South Africa trip. That whole thing was just incredible and very, very inspiring. Go Oprah! Wow, never thought my blog would see the day that I'd openly kiss Oprah's butt in a post. But there I went. Deep down I'm just jealous I didn't get all those fun toys she gave away today, and I hope that she will read this and invite me to her show.


Current Music: Only Got One, by Frou Frou



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails