Nov 28, 2004

Gobble Gobble

At long last, here is my Thanksgiving weekend wrap-up...

My favorite holiday began a little differently this year. I was up before 7 am on Thanksgiving morning with Huan, Natty, Skelbs, and CGrumms to run in the annual Turkey Trot 5k in Centreville. Along with about 2500 others, we braved the oncoming storm clouds that suddenly made the sky blacken right before race time. Shortly after being drenched under the downpour (how very hardcore of us), we were en route. It was a nice leisurely run (i.e., I definitely did not run for time), and it was nice to see how far I had come from the days of my 10th grade P.E. final, in which I conquered the seemingly impossible task of running 3 miles under 30 minutes with the help of one of my running mentors, Caroline (CGrumms). We were running buddies again this time, except that I could actually converse with her the whole time, and it was very nice to catch up. You see, in the olden days, I would refuse to respond to or acknowledge any of her stories, not for lack of respect but for lack of breath. I'm not so bad anymore. Post-race, it was time to have a truly guilt-free Thanksgiving gorge fest since we had the exercise out of the way.

Dinner was delicious as always, and there seemed to be more food than ever. This year's highlights: butternut squash soup, delightfully juicy turkey, mashed potatoes (because you can never go wrong), and Huan's pumpkin profiterole dessert, which I devoured even after 3 or 4 plates of food in me.

Friday we finally took Auddie to go see "The Incredibles," which I enjoyed even more the second time around. Great film, definitely right up there with "Finding Nemo." Bravo Pixar, you've done it yet again.

That night Kim wanted to watch her wedding video that my dad had recorded, and I soon found out there are few things more awkward than this activity. The ceremony part and all that were fine, but once we got to the dancing portion of the evening and the camera was still rolling, it was like having to watch yourself at a club or a party. To think, when it's actually happening, you've consumed just the right amount to get yourself out there dancing in the first place, and here you are now watching it again but with sober eyes. Very strange sensation. And then there was watching my speech. I mean, I hate to hear my voice on voicemail, let alone in a lengthy speech with bad jokes and a ridiculous amount of nerves on top of it! I guess this is why I did not ever pursue acting as a career, eh? Definitely don't love that spotlight.

Saturday evening was the bridal shower dinner/drinks event in Georgetown for my cousin Bao Ngoc. It actually ended up being a really great time. It was one of those nights when you have no expectations, and it turns out to be a ton of fun. For the first time since I can actually remember, I was catching up with and really getting to know my cousins with whom I have never been very close. It was a very refreshing moment where I think we kind of saw each other in a different way, and definitely for the better. It's always nice when that happens.

Today was a fun way to end the long weekend. I headed to SportRock in Alexandria with Huan and Tin, a family friend. This place is a massive indoor climbing arena with a ton of walls of different skills that go up to over 40 feet. Huan and I decided it'd be a good idea to start with the Basic Skills class to learn how to harness ourselves up, tie our knots, and master the art of "belaying." There was so much fun terminology to learn. After the remedial stuff, we actually started climbing, and it was so exciting! I, of course, managed to let my thumb pinch in the device during my first real belaying experience, so I have a nice beginner's battle wound to show for my first-time out. Other than that, though, it was really awesome, and I think Huan and I were instantly hooked to this new hobby (if we ever make it outdoors, that will be a different story...). Actually, I'll have to update my thoughts again tomorrow if I am actually able to fully operate my arms and legs. Good times, though. I definitely recommend you give climbing a try.

Now I am snuggling up with some Haagen Dazs Strawberry ice cream as the finale to this very indulgent weekend. Twas a lovely Thanksgiving. Only regrets are that I didn't get to see or hang out with everyone I would have liked. Alas, that is what Christmas is for.

Here's to thankfulness. In brief, this year I am thankful for my family, but not in the cheesy "of course you are thankful for your family" kind of way, but in a truly genuine way, for unconditionally supporting me in this "lost soul" portion of my post-graduate search for some stability. Cheers.


Current Music: Vincent O'Brien, by M. Ward
Current Mood: satisfied


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails