Mar 15, 2005

"What's a Gyme?...Oh, a Gyme!"

Laura and I had a hilarious/frustrating/true to life discussion today regarding our gym habits. I was telling her how exhausted I was for some strange reason, so after already skipping yesterday's gym slot, I was also forgoing today's scheduled time and felt so bad about it. She told me she had skipped out to the gym during her lunch today just to fit it in.
It was at this point we both realized how both our lives had officially been taken over by our gym time...like an unhealthy obsession of a very healthy activity.

When did our lives become work-gym-dinner-TV-sleep? That seems to be the usual routine, and if we stray from it we don't know what to do... the guilt, the voice in the back of your head. It's not even necessarily about the exercise aspect (I don't want to come off as someone with a "problem"). I don't worry that I'm going to gain five pounds, and I won't skip dinner if I miss the gym... it's more just the idea and routine so embedded in your brain that it becomes as regular as brushing your teeth. If you skip it, you feel bad/gross/lazy. It's a strange situation. Back in college, the more I skipped, the more easily I fell off the wagon and wouldn't go for weeks (and I was ok with that). Now it's like the more I go, the more I have to keep going, no matter what, when, how (Ok, now I'm starting to sound like I have a problem.)

Seriously though, it's getting to become just "what I do" because I'm so accustomed to how it fits into my day. Yesterday Kam & Cory came up into the city to do some museums and hang out, and they asked me to meet them for dinner. I agreed, but only after I went to the gym. When they were done with their agenda earlier than expected, they called me and asked me to hang out since they were just walking around the city streets. I told them I could let them into Huan's apartment to kill time while I went to the gym, then we could have dinner. I mean-- Who does that? I realized how ridiculous that idea was after replaying the conversation in my head, and that's when I decided to skip the gym and instead hang_out_with_people_that_I_don't_see_very_often. Doesn't seem like a difficult decision, right? I'm telling you, this is bad and very strange.

Oh, the days of college when I hopped on the crummy elliptical for a good 20-25 minutes just to barely work off the calories of one beer. How I yearn to be so carefree again. For now, it's back to the gym tomorrow to make up for my bad start on the week...
After all, I've only got about 2.5 weeks til the 10-miler.. gotta keep up my form!



Current Music: Born to Make You Happy, by Britney Spears
Current Mood: tired.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

but it was worth it to watch "single white female" and "now and then" again...am i right???

Related Posts with Thumbnails