Feb 27, 2005

Oscar rant

I'm so over "Million Dollar Baby." As you may have remembered, I'd already boycotted the movie based on its title alone, which means I still have not seen it. A few days ago I started to actually gain some interest in viewing it if only to figure out what the hell everyone was so hyped up over. After tonight, though, I may be back on the boycott wagon. I feel like I, along with maybe two others I've conversed with on the topic, may be the only one to see through this Hilary Swank best actress crap. It's like, hello, why isn't anyone talking about the fact that she won the Oscar in 2000 for playing a boy ("Boys Don't Cry"), and here she is again winning for a "boy" role. And need I remind you that we first heard of Hilary Swank because of her lead in "The Next Karate Kid"?? Seriously now, I don't mean to say she's a bad actress at all, I'm actually giving her tons of credit... for being good at playing a (tom)boy. Way to pigeonhole yourself, Hilary!! Now I know I may get slack for this about how I shouldn't crap on her for challenging typical gender roles and all that, blah blah, but really now, I'm just over it and over her. Thumbs down to the academy for giving her the "OK" to exclusively seek out "boy" roles for the rest of her career, knowing she will continue to get acknowledged for them and win praise as some refreshing rise-to-the-challenge young star with artistic merit. Boo. I think I'm more frustrated about the fact that it seems no one in the mass media has even really discussed this. They just go on touting her and how amazing she was in this movie. Even an extensive google search found very few anti-Hilary sentiments and even less on how she is the premiere tomboy actress in Hollywood. I'm starting to wonder if no one else feels this way. Clearly I'm fired up about it. Bizarre I tell you.

Other anti-MDB feelings were harbored after Clint Eastwood took best director, and the disappointment from the Martin Scorsese camp just came seeping through the TV. I was like, how is ol' Marty gonna sleep tonight? I actually pictured him standing up, throwing down his hanky and walking out of there, screaming "What do you all want from me??" Maybe the academy just isn't all about the furry brows. Bummer for him.

On the bright side, I'm so so glad Jamie Foxx won the best actor Oscar. I actually just watched "Ray" this afternoon and was blown away by his performance. It might have actually been the best movie I've seen all year. The honor was previously given to "Hotel Rwanda," which is still incredible and powerful for the story alone, but in terms of overall performance and actually being moved by the acting, "Ray" takes the cake. Kudos to Jamie Foxx, and double kudos for the best acceptance speech of the night.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

have you ever seen The Gift with Katie Holmes, Greg Kinnear, Keanu Reeves AND Swanker herself? She actually plays a woman in that role, albeit a redneck white trash (I believe mulletheaded) woman. I thought she played that pretty well...

Owen

Anonymous said...

like i said in houy's blog...i like the way you post comments on his blog better. it pops up in its own window and it's so much more convenient. you should really consider switching up.

anyway, did anybody notice hilary swank's jacked up teeth? ummm, you have two oscars...you think you could afford to fix that snaggle tooth, am i right? it's called invisiline (sp?) honey. look into it. ps, your dress was ugly.

furthermore, i heart johnny depp. i was hoping he'd win last year and i was hoping he'd win this year...only because he's a hottie. i know jamie foxx deserved it, but i just heart johnny depp. and ps, his wife has snaggle tooth also.

also, someone should tell renee zelwegger (sp? again) that her hair looks like ass and she looks really pale w/it. although i did like her dress a lot.

oh and i loved gwyneth paltrow's dress and orlando bloom looked like a hot piece of ass. i hear he's single now...i should look up his number!!

APostcardFrom said...

Marty is always the bridesmaid and never the bride. He's the Susan Lucci of the Oscars!

I got to see parts of the Oscars but it meant very little to me since I've barely seen any of the movies nominated since they're not out in France yet. "Finding Neverland" should be on my flight next week so I'm excited for that but I'm pretty indifferent to the rest of the movies...excluding "Hotel Rwanda" which I want to see since I read "We Regret to Inform You..."

Related Posts with Thumbnails