Feb 15, 2005

My Girl

So yesterday, on the 5th day of the flu and my first "sick day" at home, I was couch-bound and lucky enough to catch "My Girl" and "My Girl 2" back to back on HBO! Oh, how I love this movie! (Mostly the first one, though the sequel is decent I guess.) It reminds me of when I was about 10 years old and Co Dung took me and some of the other cousins to see this in the theater. We figured, "Oh, lighthearted fun kids movie!" Boy were we wrong. But it ended up being such a fun experience and an early lesson on life, though I'm not sure I understood it at the time. I think the lesson we actually came away with was to stay far far away from beehives. Now when I watch the movie, I think about the relationship between Vada and Thomas J. and how well it is portrayed by such young actors, and how easily you become emotionally attached to them. And I think about how I, too, want a friend named Thomas J. just like in the movie. (As an aside, that was definitely Macaulay Culkin's peak moment as an actor... when he's in those glasses! Too cute.) I was watching the movie with Max and wondering where his 7-year-old thoughts were taking him. How funny, that his mom was the one who introduced me to the movie, and here I was sharing it with him. Anyway, just wanted to plug this movie since I had long forgotten about how very poignant and truly enjoyable it is. Great song, too.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


Current Music: My Girl, by the Temptations
Current Mood: good

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails