Feb 13, 2005

Jumping the Shark

In my multiple conversations about TV this weekend, the phrase "Jump the Shark" came up on more than one occasion. First I was talking to Meevs, someone else who watches as much TV as I do, and she casually dropped it into our chat after I started ranting about the impending doom of The O.C. Then again last night, Kim and I were talking about the same thing (the defining moment of a TV show that sets the stage for its decline) and she says "What's the phrase to describe that?"... and I was like, "Oh, I don't know, but I think Meevs used it this morning and I didn't realize it." Through the simple magic of google, we found out the phrase is indeed, "Jump the Shark," taken from a "Happy Days" episode in which Fonzie literally jumped over a shark on water skis. Interesting, eh? This was all news to me! And of course there is a website devoted to this subject and the moment viewers think TV shows have taken the plunge. It's kind of neat to see how everyone has a different opinion on every show. But yes, to sum, The O.C. may have jumped the shark with Sandy-Rebecca/Marisa-Alex kiss last week. Other moments for me include: Joey & Rachel on friends, Carter & Susan on ER (eew!), Tori and the disappearance of Kelly on Saved by the Bell, and Mikhail Barishnikov on Sex & The City. I could go on forever, but thankfully, I won't.


Current Music: Shanty for the Arethusa, by the Decemberists

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails