Jan 13, 2005

First Week O' Work

Clearly this whole "work" thing is still a novelty for me, so lucky for you, I will continue to blog about it. Things are still going swimmingly. For a first week, all went as well as it could have. Yesterday was exciting because I participated in my first conference call. Again, this was something that never happened last summer. In fact, I think they told us about the calls last summer and then went ahead and locked us out of the rooms as they went on. Swell. But Wednesday we were even called upon to share our knowledge and to fully participate in developing some story ideas. All of us interns were pleased because we're getting some direction and now know what we're actually going to be doing, or at least attempting to do. However, this also means it will get busy and we actually have lots of work to do. Exciting, though! Sure beats killing time refreshing the e-mail page and playing yahoo games (last year).

Yesterday was made even more exciting by some more DC drama. There was a bomb threat outside the Borders behind my building. They closed off 18th street for a while and apparently one of my colleagues saw a bunch of people screaming through the streets. Just great. It's basically just practice for the cops in preparation for inauguration next week. Speaking of next week, it's going to be awesome because Monday is a holiday (MLK) and then Thursday is inauguration (which we get off as well, since they pretty much shut down the whole city). So yeah, guess I picked a good week to start work... just easing into things.

Tonight, in trying to keep up with my new year's resolution of being more social, I met up with Jess & Alli and one of Jess's coworkers for happy hour and dinner (It's restaurant week in DC). Truth be told, I was getting giddy after about 1.5 beers, and that buzz carried itself through our fancy lil' dinner. It was a good time, though... highlights were discussing our personal experiences in "Office Space" world... cubicles, communal restrooms, etc..

I have tomorrow off, which means I have a 4-day weekend ahead of me. Time to catch up on all the TV I missed this week. 24, Lost, The O.C...etc. Looking forward to it. I know... I watch way too much TV.


Current Music: Nothing is Good Enough, by Aimee Mann
Current Mood: ready for bed

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails