Jan 10, 2005

First Day O' Work

I just got home from my first day, and naturally I'm sitting here blogging about it. All in all, a fantastic first day of work for a job that seems like it will be a very rewarding experience. Not a bad first impression, right?

I came in, overdressed (but you have to be, it's your first day!), and met the other interns. We're all locals and one of the guys looks like Jimmy Fallon. I haven't told him this yet; I will tell him tomorrow, but I doubt it's the first time he's heard it. Anyway, the office manager, the one I've been addressing as "Ms." in all my emails, is actually my age or younger, but very friendly and "cool." The other staff folks are not only really experienced journalists, but very helpful and definitely accessible. Maybe this is how people usually work, but after my internship experience last summer it's all news to me. We all got taken out to CPK for lunch on the company's tab, too! On the first day it was a nice treat, considering I never got that treatment last summer (I feel like an orphan who was just adopted into a better family).

On the way back from lunch we were treated with some good ol' DC drama as the hotel workers were on strike outside the Mayflower hotel, which is directly across from our building. For the rest of the afternoon we could hear their megaphone-chanting even inside our offices. Really does wonders for the concentration.

Anyhow...On top of everything else, the work I'm doing is incredibly interesting and I'm really excited about it. I won't say any more about it in detail, only because 1) this is a blog, after all, and very "public" (as my Who Let the Blogs Out? blog guide will tell me), and 2) the nature of the work I'm doing bears a certain degree of confidentiality which only makes me want to talk about it more because I feel so super secret and therefore special. So yes, maybe you'll hear about it in the future on "20/20" or read about it in the Post, but til then I probably shouldn't say much (look at me, gloating already).

Well, my feet are tired and I'm actually very sleepy (I know, I'm a wuss), so that wraps up my first day update. I think I may have to go to the dark side and pick up a coffee habit to keep from nodding off in my cube.


Current Music: Africa, by Toto
Current Mood: good but tired

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails