Mar 18, 2006

March Madness & Shamrock Shakes

The below post was prepared for publication on Thursday, March 16, but due to what I discovered was a widespread "Blogger 505" error, I was unable to post it. Rather than delete it outright, I'll leave it in its original form below, and update the following information: after gloating about my great first round March Madness picks through Thursday, Friday's games left me with a 21-11 first round record. But at least I enjoyed last night's games at an extremely overcrowded and loud bar whilst enjoying a Guinness!!

------------
3.16.06

Today kicked off one of the most exciting sports events of the year. Whether or not you're a sports fan, or whether or not you "follow" college basketball, March Madness is a time that all can enjoy. This year is particularly exciting because I'm participating in my first-ever office pool. I've got my bracket filled out, and with five TVs spread out around the office, it's hard not to get distracted by the daytime games to see how your teams are doing. As the Post reports,
some companies are cracking down on the potential lost productivity. (Sorry, friends at CEB!)

If today's near-upsets of BC and Tennessee (both of whom I picked) are any indication of how nail-biting and exciting the tourney will be, we're in for a great couple weeks.

And GW's second-half 18-point comeback and run to win in OT over UNC-Wilmington tonight just topped off what was a great opening day of basketball. Talk about under pressure. Whew!

Through 12 games that have finished, I've only had one bad first round pick (Seton Hall). So far so good, eh?

In other news, I tried my first McDonald's Shamrock Shake today. Apparently since they introduced this seasonal green milkshake (tastes like a Mint Chocolate Chip shake-- delicious!) back in the 70s and then only offered it on a very select and limited basis thereafter, the Shamrock Shake has had a cult-like following. As a lifelong McDonald's fan, I feel like I completely missed the boat on this one and am actually a bit embarrassed about being out of the loop. But I guess it's not too late, as they seem to be back on the menus (or at least available upon request at select locations) and available as a delicious St. Patty's day treat. I did kind of have a stomach ache for the entire afternoon though, and while I'm not completely certain the Shake was to blame, I'm not quite sure I should back this product 100%. Either way, a Happy St. Patty's Day to all, Irish or not...


Current Music: Clementine, by Elliott Smith

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails