May 7, 2005

We Both Go Down Together

Last night I saw The Decemberists put on a great show at the 9:30 club. It was a perfect night that began with a stop at Ben's Chili Bowl with Becca and Pepper. After all, who can resist a half-smoke with mustard and onions, doused with chili? I know I can't.

From there we made our way to the venue, arriving a bit early around 9 pm. This left us with that awkward concert time-killing session that one always seems to forget about. Since the opening act wasn't even set to start til about 10, and The Decemberists at 11:15, we decided to settle in on the balcony so at least we could sit down while we waited.

After some rock-paper-scissors, thumb-warring, musical chatter, and other friendly conversation, the opening act, Rebecca Gates, came on slightly after 10. I was already disappointed because the show was first announced with opener Willy Mason, whom I've been really curious about (he was signed by Conor Oberst to his label), but it seems there must have been a change of plan. Ms. Gates was an interesting performer-- she was totally cut (Madonna arms) and had kind of a husky voice to go with it. In the end though, the one-woman gig with the electric guitar just wasn't doing it for me, nor anyone else in the venue, from what I could tell. She wasn't terribly engaging, musically or otherwise, which left us all in even greater anticipation of The Decemberists.

And those Decemberists did not disappoint! It was very cool to see them all together. It definitely presented a different vibe from when I'd seen Colin Meloy solo. Together, they were a much weirder, more eccentric, very fun bunch who were all about performance and entertainment. There's really nothing cooler than seeing 6 folks on stage with an upright bass, a violin, a bunch of tambourines, and an accordian just jamming out and going crazy. I love that this band is always proving to me that their music is all about pushing the limits and creating something unlike anything else I've ever heard. Colin Meloy's voice alone is enough to set it apart, but the instrumentation, not to mention his penchant for pirate-tales and other crazy lyrical fictions, is truly one of a kind.

Up til yesterday I hadn't been crazy about the new album, Picaresque, despite many a rave review. There were definitely a few standout tunes for me, but on the whole, I liked their previous work far better. But hearing them perform the songs last night really made me rethink the album as a whole. The energy and spirit they put into songs like "Sporting Life" and "Mariner's Revenge Song" were incredible and you couldn't help but move your feet and get into it.

All told, it was a fantastic show and definitely reaffirmed the fact that The Decemberists are one of my current favorite bands.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome concert night. I've been curious about Ben's Chili Bowl for awhile now- you've definitely piqued my curiosity further. A trip there is in order!
-C

Related Posts with Thumbnails