May 18, 2005

A VN Indie Artist?

Indeed, it's true. I couldn't believe my ears after discovering Thao Nguyen today. After coming across her name through some musical web-surfing, I did a double take when I first read her name lumped among other, more familiar indie bands and was definitely curious. I found out she's from the area (possibly Springfield, as that's where her record company is based) and used to work at her mom's laundromat from the time she was a kid. Now she's making music and traveling all over. Consider this my first pitch! It's refreshing and very exciting to hear a young Vietnamese artist making music that appeals to me, rather than, say, my parents! This girl sounds like she's got some serious potential. Actually reminded me of Francoise Hardy when I streamed her first MP3. She also has that whole Rachael Yamagata vibe going for her. Very cool. Anyway, I really hate comparisons, so just give her a listen!

In my total dorkiness, I e-mailed Thao and asked if she was coming to the DC area! She replied and said that she would be at DC9 on August 19 for her official CD release party, though it's not yet listed on her site. And she said she'd also keep me posted as to a possible Arlington show if and when it's confirmed. How exciting and fun! Gotta love that she's 1) local and 2) a fellow Vietnamese gal. Way to represent!


Current Music: Hills, by Thao Nguyen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like her song Hills... not too crazy about We... but very cool sounds...

I'd like to go to her concert if she comes here. Thanks for the blog.

Related Posts with Thumbnails