May 6, 2005

Virginia is for Lovers, indeed.

Since nearly a week has passed, my Charlottesville high is finally tapering off, so you'll be spared the overwhelming parts of what was going to be an intense Wahoowa-loving post. I'll just sum up my Foxfield weekend by saying it was an incredible time-- far better than I expected. Considering the nasty weather forecast all weekend, everything went well. We had further proof that God does love Foxfield, as it didn't rain a single drop the whole time at the races, but poured down early that morning and later that night. So while it was a muddy mess, as evidenced by everyone's grubby flip-flopped feet, I ran into a lot of people I wanted to see, and of course some others I'd completely forgotten about...

Perhaps most exciting (and slightly disturbing) was that over the course of less than 48 hours in C'ville, with the help and determination of one Laura Plattner, I managed to indulge in the goodness of 8 separate eating establishments. I mean, how can one expect to choose? Lo and I knew we had to make the most of our hours, so through the magic of sharing and lots of planning, we were able to hit up almost all our old favorites. (Though surely you can never do it all, which is why we're planning another trip back this summer...)

For those of you wondering, we made the following stops between around 6 pm on Friday evening and 3 pm Sunday afternoon:

Friday: Take it Away (bread ends), Baja Bean (can't beat a refreshing 27 oz. margarita for $6.50!)
Saturday: Bodo's (Veggie cream cheese on everything bagel), Bellair (Ednam), Sylvia's pizza (spinach/feta/tomatoes), and of course a 12:45 am stop at Little John's (Bum Steer/Wild Turkey).
Sunday: Bodo's (Egg & Cheddar bagel/Cleo Salad), Marco & Luca's (The best $2.50 dumplings around), Arch's (Black Caesar w/ Vanilla & Peanut Butter swirl)

Needless to say, I put on about 5 pounds from all that gluttony. Hmm, it was as if suddenly I realized why those 25 minutes of elliptical time I used to put in at the gym didn't make a damn bit of difference! But man oh man, it felt really great to let myself go and settle back into my old college habits for a weekend. It was utterly satisfying.

The perfect Sunday weather made it one of those ideal Charlottesville Sundays for strolling the Downtown Mall & Corner, cruising by the Rotunda, and once again reminding ourselves how good we had it for 4 years. Our only consolation as we drove out of town was taking comfort in the fact that we didn't have to start cramming for a long week of finals or churning out that final paper. In the end, a long weekend visit was enough, just as 4 years of memories were enough for a lifetime. After all, if we never left we would never fully appreciate it. And strangely, despite my promise, this has become a Wahoowa-loving post anyway. What can I say, must be in my blood...


Current Music: Sweet Illusions, by Ryan Adams
Current Mood: content

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails