Apr 29, 2010

Ready for vacay... book recs, anyone?

This week my family finalized our ticket purchases for the big Vietnam trip at the end of June. Now that it's in the books, I'm officially very excited for it and have already started to think about what to pack and what I can spend my money on as justification for trip expenses. 

Do I need new sneakers? Where is my passport fanny pack? Do I want to buy myself a Nook? (John currently has a Nook that I've started "borrowing" on a regular basis. This could become a problem soon.) I didn't think I'd get into the e-readers (but you're looking at the girl who swore she'd never need/want an iPhone and look at me now!), but I've found it very convenient and addicting to have a library of books at your fingertips. Plus, in the past, packing leisure reading for a long vacation has been a pain in the butt, with already limited luggage space when you factor in all the other crap I want to bring along.

Anyway, I'm in the process of reading Andre Agassi's autobiography Open, which I've found to be a compelling (if occasionally poorly written and oftentimes melodramatic) story.  I'm not sure how it would read as a regular memoir to non-tennis fans, but for someone who grew up watching tennis religiously with her family right around the time of Agassi's rise, it's a fantastic walk down memory lane to all of the classic Agassi matches and memorable moments in '90s tennis history. I've found myself YouTubing highlights of the old Slams after reading about Agassi's preparation or emotions before/during/after a particular match.

I haven't gotten to the drug drama yet; so far I've just been enjoying the inside scoop on the crazy world of what it takes to be a pro athlete in what is probably, as Agassi describes it, the loneliest sport there is.

Anyone else have good recommendations for light and entertaining vacation reading?

8 comments:

Gotta Jibboo said...

If you haven't already, definitely go for Eat, Pray, Love. It's not EXACTLY light hearted, but it's a great book. One of those that you're actually upset to reach the end of, because that means that there's no more book to read. Also on my recommendations:
-Teacher Man (personal favorite of mine)
-The Tao of Pooh
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower
-The Book Thief (again, not really light hearted, but GREAT and an easy read- it's geared toward middle school reading levels, but me being a middle school teacher it was appropriate. SUCH a good book... and that's all I'll say about it.)

Pouy said...

@Gotta Jibboo: Thanks Maggie! I've actually already read Eat, Pray, Love. Parts of it I enjoyed (namely the section about Italy/food) and others parts I could have done without. Definitely a quick read, though! I'll look into your other recs - thanks!

Gotta Jibboo said...

Yeah... the India part was a bit intense and heavy, I'll definitely agree. But, the book made me want to just up and move to a foreign country for several months! (More-so than I already do want to up and move to a foreign country).

maitai said...

my favorite part of planning a trip! buying crap i don't REALLY need! i do need new sneakers and a security travel pack of some sort. most important to me is how to carry my camera and lenses. i don't know which bag or how much gear i want to bring! as for books? i don't know! this is definitely a great time to have a nook/kindle/e-reader, though. def time to get your own! i'm going through my list of books now on goodreads to try and decide what i want to bring :)

ps - please leave our snuggie and booklight at home :)

The Larsons said...

Love the snuggie (we use ours all the time too). I have to agree with you on Eat Pray Love, I only liked the Italy section and could have done without the rest :) If you want a dark yet hilarious read, go for the Glass Castle. It's a quick read and both ridiculously depressing and hysterically funny all at the same time. At least I thought so. :)

Pouy said...

@The Larsons - I loved The Glass Castle! Such a fantastic read. I know she wrote another book (about her grandmother) though I know nothing else about it.. Maybe I should check that one out!

Matt said...

Have you read High Fidelity?

Pouy said...

@Matt: I've not, though I've seen the film adaptation a time or two :) I do enjoy Nick Hornby though, so perhaps I will check out more of his work!

Related Posts with Thumbnails