Apr 25, 2010

Never Too Late: My Top Albums of '09

Though we're almost a third of the way through 2010, I've decided to write a quick post about the music of 2009 -- due in part to popular demand and also a personal need to document it.

2009 was a weird year for me. There was a lot of great music, though nothing jumped out and grabbed me the way it has in other years. Rather than getting super psyched and highly anticipating releases from bands I love, in '09 I was drawn more to debut albums from new bands, or new albums from bands I'd not previously gotten into.

In any case, below follows a loose compilation of what I loved most from 2009. Since this post is over four months overdue, I may have missed some things, but this should give you a pretty good idea of what I liked. Albums are listed in the order of their release dates.

Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Image of album by Animal Collective

For whatever reason, I'd never gotten into Animal Collective before this year. But I knew when it was only January and practically every music blog was already calling this the Album of the Year, I had to see what the hype was about (I'm a sucker for hype - so sue me!). Equally accessible while also staying "weird" (a word my brother would surely use to describe this music), the bass beats and electronic-pop sound made every song feel like an attempt at something epic. Also, hearing a song like "Summertime Clothes" in the middle of a January winter was a nice change of pace.


Andrew Bird - Noble Beast

 

Andrew Bird seems like one of those guys who flies under the radar. His albums get great critic reviews, but then they seem to be quickly forgotten or removed from the musical conversation. That said, he makes very creative but accessible music and this album was no exception. Finger-picked guitars, whimsical lyrics and great melodies make this an easy and enjoyable listen.


M. Ward - Hold Time



One of my favorite things about M. Ward is his ability to sound like he could be from many different eras, while still sounding current.  Though this isn't my favorite M. Ward album, it's still fantastic. Once I could accept the fact that he and Zooey Deschanel are obviously friends and will continue to make music together -- even on his solo albums, I really enjoyed it. I can't explain what I have against Zooey. I'm sure she's perfectly nice. But when people start talking about M. Ward only in the context of She & Him, and when Paste magazine names She & Him's album their best album of 2008, it bothers me a little bit because I know how brilliant M. Ward is on his own, and I just want everyone to recognize that. Wow - end rant. Just listen to this album!


Washed Out - Life of Leisure (EP)



I wouldn't usually include a 6-song EP in a Best Albums post, but I enjoyed this one so much that I couldn't bear to leave it out (listen to "New Theory"). Everything about this EP -- from the name of it, to the album cover, to the romantic synth-pop -- makes you want to pack your bags and take a vacation. At the same time, there's something slightly nostalgic about it. For another 6-song EP that is strangely similar to this one, check out Air France's No Way Down EP, which was released in 2008 (and which I often confuse with Washed Out's EP).


The Avett Brothers - I and Love and You


 
 
A very polished album with high production quality (what else to expect for a major-label debut?) from the bluegrass/folk outfit from North Carolina. While very different from their previous efforts -- less raw and rough around the edges -- it still showcases with the Avetts do best: catchy melodies, strong harmonies, and great storytelling. This is an album that I loved even more after seeing the guys put on an energetic and very memorable show at GW's Lisner Auditorium in June.


Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeroes



I can't remember how I stumbled across these guys, but I do remember having their album on repeat for the first week I got my hands on it. Put simply, this music sounds like it was fun to make, and you can't help but love songs with jangly guitars, a rousing horn section and choruses that sound like they're sung by the entire neighborhood.

Thanks for traveling back to 2009 with me. Hope you discovered something you liked!

1 comment:

john said...

you're welcome for washed out.

and m. ward!

Related Posts with Thumbnails