Oct 12, 2005

Sweet Golly Goodness!

Thanks to Steve Jobs, I have another exciting reason to post. After much anticipation surrounding Apple's new product announcement today (I mean really, the nano is brand new, and now unveiling something else, so soon?), it seems Apple has once again taken the iPod to the next level. And I am officially jealous. Introducing... the new iPod.


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Incidentally, this post comes almost exactly a year after one of my first crazy-iPod blogposts in which the 60 gig photo was first unveiled. Ok, while I was always one to snub the iPod extras (photos, color, etc.), I now realize that I want it all.

Here's the deal:

The new iPod has 150 hours of video storage capability, and through the new iTunes 6, you can download your favorite music videos or TV shows (Only ABC or Disney, for now...) for $1.99 a pop. I mean, that's pretty damn cool, right? Sure, the screen is a mere 2.5 inches, but that's still an improvement from the old version. And hell, if I can catch up on a missed episode of "Lost" while waiting at the doctor's office or sitting on the metro... well, I'm not going to complain. It's sure to beat those little handheld rabbit-eared Sony TVs I remember from a decade ago!

Ok, for those of you unimpressed by these add-ons that detract from the music, here are other practical bonuses:

The new iPod boasts up to 20 hours of battery life, five hours more than before. Plus, you get a bigger display and one more iPod color — sleek black. But here’s the kicker: At under half an inch thin, the new 30GB iPod takes up about 45 percent less room than the original iPod. Even the new 60GB model is 10 percent thinner than the fourth-generation 20GB iPod. More features in less space? Sounds like iPod.

Just the other day Auddie and I were in the Apple store, and when we saw the old 60 gig, we were like "Geez, this thing is a monster! Look how thick!!"

Anyway, I'm a bit overwhelmed right now, jumping from page to page to catch up on all the new details. I'm a little annoyed that I just upgraded to iTunes 5 only about a month ago and they've already updated. But if there's any lesson we can learn from Apple, it's that you should wait. Yep, let you jaw drop in awe over all these new gadgets, but sit back and let it all settle in before you pull out your credit card. Sometimes I think about all those folks who have given into the initial hype...the ones who own a Mini, a Shuffle, a Nano, and are currently drooling over the newest iPod. Then again, they're probably broke. It's a nice thought, though! As for me, my 3rd gen. 20 gig is still doing the trick, but I know it won't be long 'til I give in... all extras aside, 20 hours of battery life sounds pretty appealing right now.


Current Music: Pipe Dreams, by Travis

1 comment:

maitai said...

um, i want one

and i don't believe i got a bday gift from you, soooo....let's make it bday/xmas gift.

thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails