Sep 18, 2005

Oh, to be a sevie again...

Now that school is back in session, I'm lucky enough to get the daily 7th grade update from Auddie. It's been less than two weeks and already we've had scheduling issues, a huge demand for locker shelves (sold out at Target and all Staples stores), and of course lots of girls who have quickly found new boyfriends.

So far Auddie has already gotten reprimanded by the same witchy Principal that made me sit on the stage by myself during lunch when I was a sevie myself. This disgruntled old lady pulled Auddie aside to tell her her shirt was too low! :o !! How very unexpected, especially considering the shirt in question was not even a v-neck or otherwise revealing cut. Ridiculous woman, really. Now Auddie goes through multiple shirts each morning before deciding which one will draw the least attention.

I was shocked to discover that physical expectations for 12-year-olds have been drastically reduced since my time, as the weekly always-dreaded ticket run in P.E. now only requires 3 laps in 15 minutes for an A! Just for comparison, the 1994 ticket run demanded 6 laps in 13 minutes for the same grade! And let me tell you, this was long before my running days and I'm certain I never earned better than a B.

In other developments, Max the third grader has discovered "jinx" and is having a field day with it. The other day in the car, he asked me "Pouy, did you ever have a bully??" Then he proceeded to make up a poem about how to tactfully handle bullies. Good for him. I'm guessing he's had some experience with this.

Anyway, it's definitely a strange feeling to know that Auddie is now in middle school, since I still remember it so vividly. Even as we speak, she's practicing her chromatic scale on her clarinet in the very room where I used to do the same! The other day she brought home a logic puzzle from Math class and I have to admit I had the best time doing it with her. (You know-- the ones with the big grid with names and titles all over it, and you have to figure out who goes with what by deciphering the clues and placing X's in the boxes to indicate a non-match or a circle for the right combination?) I get this great sense of indescribable pleasure going through kids' homework and realizing the same worksheets I used to do haven't changed in a decade. After all, there's nothing like a little pre-algebra to make you nostalgic...


Current Music: History of Lovers, by Iron & Wine and Calexico

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HEY!!I though 7th grade secrets were kept between us not written about and posted to the public!!(just saying):)

Anonymous said...

umm, no offense, but just to tell you...

Related Posts with Thumbnails