Sep 7, 2005

The incredible shrinking iPod

Just when you thought Apple was taking it easy for a while, they unveil yet another new iPod design. While I wasn't crazy about the iPod shuffle, the release of the iPod nano looks to be pretty cool. Basically, it's a mini mini. It's about the size of a business card and pencil-thin, but it packs up to the same amount that a mini can store (4 gigs, or 1000 songs).

[addendum: The more I look at this thing, the more I love it. So sleek, so cool. It's by far the best iPod update Apple has come up with since they ditched that primitive first and second generation design. Even now the third and fourth gens are starting to look like the equivalent of Zack Morris's cellphone compared to the nano.]

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Next up is something we all knew was coming: iTunes for your cell phone. Apple has joined with Motorola to create the ROKR E1, the first mobile phone compatible with iTunes, capable of storing up to 100 songs. This one I'm not so crazy about. I like my iPod to do what it does and my phone to do what it does. To combine them wouldn't be so bad, but at only a 100 song storage capacity, it seems rather pointless to me. I suppose, though, that the idea here was to essentially combine the iPod shuffle with a cell phone, which may appeal to some people. Also, as Cingular is the exclusive carrier for this phone, if you're interested you may have to switch wireless providers.

I also just upgraded to iTunes 5, which was also unveiled today and probably introduces the most drastic change of the "digital jukebox" since its inception. New features include a new interface (I'm still deciding if I love or hate it), better search options, folders for playlists, album reviews, and apparently lots more.

Finally, in a hilarious effort to appeal to everyone under the sun, Apple has a special Harry Potter collector's iPod available--complete with engraved Hogwarts crest--along with the complete set of all 6 audiobooks. All for the bargain price of $548. Classic.

All this new technology is overwhelming me. Will it ever stop?


Current Music: Speaking Confidentially, by Cowboy Junkies

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! love the nano. kicking myself for getting an iShuffle instead of holding out for the nano!

wish the phone thingy was bigger and held more songs.

I <3 apple!

Related Posts with Thumbnails