Aug 11, 2005

All about Alias!

I may be four years late on this one, but I've finally jumped on the Alias bandwagon. I have to admit, last summer when I was repeatedly inundated with the annoying Alias promo for the new season (You remember, it went something like this: "What's your name?" "Ima... Ima Gonnakickyourass") with Lenny Kravitz's "Lady" as background music, I vowed I would never watch the show.

My, how things have changed! Thanks to Bi-Anh, who has so graciously lent me her seasons 1-3 Alias DVD sets, as well as all my friends who endlessly hyped this show and eventually left me no choice but to see it for myself and decide, I've become completely addicted to Alias. In fact, despite only being done with season 1 and 2 at this point, I might venture to call it the best show on TV. That's right, I'm talkin BIG!

After all, a show that could make me abandon all my anti-Jennifer Garner sentiments for feelings of near-obsession within 3 episodes has to be good, right? It's true. Jennifer Garner was perfectly cast as Sydney Bristow, easily convincing as the girl-next-door who could also lead a secret life as a CIA agent scary enough to make grown men cry. I try to fight the urge, but I constantly find myself wishing I was her-- the perfect combination of laid back/down-to-earth and absolutely badass.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Michael Vartan is equally impressive in his role as Vaughn, the vulnerable and sensitive, wears-his-heart-on-his-sleeve agent who, despite his somewhat scrawny appearance, can still kick some ass himself.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

My favorite, though, has to be Bradley Cooper as the lovable Will Tippin. Who doesn't want a friend like Will Tippin? Ok, aside from the fact that I love his old school reporter style, with the tweed jacket, plaid shirts and tie, and those little wire-rimmed glasses, not to mention the essential 5 o'clock shadow and unkempt hair (he also has these incredibly piercing blue eyes), --whew!-- Will's genuine demeanor and his unrelenting desire to protect Sydney is endearing. You keep watching because you want to make sure that nothing bad happens to Will, either!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
(images courtesy of alias-tv.com)

(Oh, this should have been assumed, but please please please hold the spoilers.. I still have season 3 and 4 to get through before I'm all caught up, and I'd hate to have the beans spilled on any exciting plot developments!)

Anyway, before I spoil too much for anyone who hasn't seen the show, I'll stop there. Silly wigs and outfits aside, and the occasional outburst that "there's no way this could ever happen," this show is an excellent model of TV drama. And as I've mentioned before, it's got fantastic music selections to accompany the storylines. J.J. Abrams is a genius (also responsible for "Felicity" and "Lost"). He actually thought of the premise of this show while working on Felicity, as he pondered how cool and more interesting the show could be if Felicity were trying to be a normal college girl while also being a spy.

The past couple nights I've actually had Alias dreams. They're a bit fuzzy, but I know they involve scary plots and me somehow being involved in the drama. Sadly, I wake up to discover that I'm not actually Sydney Bristow. I've also noticed the show affecting me in other ways. Just the other day as I was driving around in the city, I found myself paying close attention to simple human interactions-- the garbage man, couples chatting over coffee, man on a park bench, homeless man-- and wondering how often my seemingly mundane observations are actually secret CIA missions or meetings in progress!! Ok, I've taken it too far. Better quit before I get carried away...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! excellent summation. and, your love for will tippin further solidifies our friendship. so excited about will's new show with xander from buffy out this fall.

and, yeah, that lame @ss "ima...ima..ima gonna.." vomit. glad you are enjoying. whatever will we do when alias comes on at the same time as the OC this fall. tragic!

Anonymous said...

actually, the best show on TV is laguna beach.

Anonymous said...

didn't you already do a post about how you all of a sudden love alias? i think jennifer garner is annoying.

and this fall, i will be recording the OC and CSI, which are on at the same time

Anonymous said...

I love Alias too!! Yay!!
-Nancy

Related Posts with Thumbnails