Aug 27, 2005

2005 Music Sampler

I've kinda been slacking in the music-posting department, so I'll try to make up for it here by posting a small sample of my favorites of 2005. Though there are still four months left in the year and a number of highly anticipated releases to look forward to-- including two yet-to-be-released Ryan Adams albums, alone-- 2005 has been an incredible year for music.

So now, though a seemingly impossible task, I'll attempt to capture that with a few of my favorite 2005 singles.


The Decemberists
:: We Both Go Down Together

The more I listen to this band, the more I love them. With three solid albums, a number of equally impressive EPs, and the ability to put on an amazing live show, they are a top notch act and definitely in my current top 5. This song is from their latest release, Picaresque (Kill Rock Stars, 2005), an album that took awhile for me to fully appreciate, but which is now right up there with their other full-length discs.

The Magic Numbers :: Forever Lost

What I know about this band is that they have origins in Trinidad, New York, and London, they are comprised of two brother-sister duos, and they are releasing their debut album, The Magic Numbers (Heavenly Records, 2005), in early October which I am almost certain will be a hit. Though Pitchfork is usually hypercritical and full of pretention, they occasionally get it right. Pitchfork says: On their self-titled, full-length debut, The Magic Numbers are easy for your mother, grandmother, older brother, kid sister and their American Idol-obsessed friends to love, too. From what I can tell so far, they are dead-on. It's pure indie-pop grandeur at its best. My proof is the fact that Auddie and I blast this song when we're in the car and sing it at the top of our lungs. Probably a better summer album than fall, but either way, one of those albums that will be a sure pick-me-up on any grey day.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
:: In This Home on Ice

Every year there's an obscure act that comes out of New York that gets overhyped on reviews and becomes the talk of the indie scene. This year, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, aided by their memorable band name, are that band. On their debut album, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, 2005), the band combines elements of '80s pop with tidbits of their modern contemporaries (Arcade Fire, even Interpol). In doing so, they've managed a unique sound of synths with gritty guitars and slurred vocals you won't be able to understand. But it's good, and despite drawing all these comparisons to '80s acts and recent indie gems, they've still established themselves as a unique band likely to be considered either over or underrated by the indie masses.

Sufjan Stevens :: Casimir Pulaski Day

Almost every indie geek knows of Sufjan Stevens' ambitious goal of releasing an album for all 50 states. So far, this midwesterner has succeeded with a Michigan album, and more recently, Illinois (Asthmatic Kitty Records, 2005), an album that has been widely touted as an album-of-the-year contender. Truth be told, I haven't sat down and listened to it in one sitting, nor have I really pieced it together as a story about the great state of Illinois, but musically, I've enjoyed a number of tracks. With his soothing, whispery voice and stripped-down guitar, Sufjan is really easy to listen to, but the music itself isn't as simplistic as the listening experience would imply. The instrumentation fits in so well-- trumpets, a backing choir, and a string quartet-- that they seem like subtle touches when you are listening.

David Gray :: Ain't No Love

I consider David Gray's music to be definitively fall. Which makes it appropriate that his seventh album, Life in Slow Motion (ATO Records, 2005), is to be released on September 13. This is a highly anticipated release since his last studio effort, A New Day at Midnight, dates back to 2002. Gray takes a chance on this record, as it's the first time he's chosen a real studio over his London apartment 'bedroom' to record. The result will likely to a more produced, bulked up sound, but I think it's a good direction for him to go in, and I can't wait to have this album as part of my fall soundtrack. (I'm guessing this track is the one most likely to be downloaded and enjoyed. Hopefully you all made it down this far...)


I think that's enough for now...Hope you heard something you liked!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pouy, you should write music reviews for a magazine. Very insightful.
nmg

Related Posts with Thumbnails