May 17, 2010

Sunday night comfort food: Spaghetti Carbonara

I've recently committed myself to improving my diet and exercising more, which so far has been working out pretty well (despite the fact that I was feeling the burn after a fairly easy 2-mile run with Molly this morning). However, Sunday nights -- and the weekend in general -- are usually an excuse to fall off the wagon, so I've stuck with hearty and satisfying recipes for Sunday night comfort food dinners. After all, diet starts Monday, right?

This week I decided to make a recipe that Kim sent me a while back -- Tyler Florence's Spaghetti alla Carbonara. Ingredients-wise, I followed the recipe exactly. However, on Kim's suggestion, part of the process was altered in order to account for the egg -- the very essence of a carbonara -- and to prevent the possibility of the dish turning into scrambled egg pasta.

Basically, it went like this: Set up your pot of boiling water for the pasta. As you're waiting for it to heat up, cook the bacon til it's crisp, then add the garlic and set it aside (off the heat). Meanwhile, once the pasta is in the pot, set up the egg mixture -- 2 beaten eggs mixed with the parmesan cheese. Once the pasta is cooked, add it to the bacon mixture and mix well.  Finally, add the egg slurry to the pasta.  By now, the food will still be hot, but the pan itself should have cooled enough so that the egg won't scramble.

Finally, season with salt and black pepper and garnish with fresh parsley.  While the process/timing initially intimidated me (after all, Tyler calls this an "intermediate" recipe! Haha), this was actually an easy meal to prepare. It was my first stab at carbonara and I'll definitely be making this again!


More images on Flickr.

1 comment:

maitai said...

mmm looks very nommy! also, molly was in town and did not tell me!? rude. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails