Jan 27, 2007

Ticketbastard

Since I've been on a concert hiatus for quite some time now, it had been a while since I had to use the dreadful Ticketmaster to make a purchase.

Today, however, in my quest to snag some tickets for the upcoming Decemberists show at the Strathmore, I was reminded of all the reasons why I can't stand it.

Let's first discuss the "word verification" page. This is the section you must pass through to basically prove that you're a human being and not using an automated program to buy tickets. All you have to do is prove that you can read and type crooked letters through a dirty window being blocked by a chain-link fence. Easy enough, right? On more than one occasion today, I needed repeated attempts to successfully pass through, during which time I'm sure the coveted tickets I was after were being given to someone else!

Once you pass the cryptic eye exam and are able to find tickets you actually want to keep, you are presented with the frightening time limits of Ticketmaster. First, you have 2 minutes to decide whether you want them. As I was consulting with someone as I was purchasing tickets, I definitely let a good set of tickets slip through the cracks as I was too slow to commit. Finally, once I managed to find another good set and got to the order page, I faced the daunting task of submitting all of my sensitive information in 3 minutes, tops. Okay, I understand it's perfectly reasonable for any competent person to do this, but when you don't have a stopwatch handy and you're double checking your credit card information and billing address (for fear of being rejected again if for any reason it's incorrect), it's a little nerve-wracking!

Lastly, and this is truly where the 'bastard' in Ticketmaster comes from, we all know about the horrendous surcharges Ticketmaster slaps on you on top of already rising base prices. In today's case, Decemberists tickets base price = $39.50 each. Convenience charge = $8.85. Processing Charge for total order = $4.00. Somehow I don't know what conveniences are being offered to me that could possibly be worth $8.85, unless someone is bringing me a pizza while I'm sitting here on my computer.

Anyway, enough complaining. I got myself some great tickets and I'm excited about seeing The Decemberists at a venue that is unlike the 9:30 club or any other typical bar/club spot for indie bands. Though admittedly, now that The Decemberists are major-label and selling their CDs in Starbucks, I shouldn't be too surprised that they're checking out such a sophisticated venue like the Strathmore.

On the other hand, I still long for the concert days when I could see my favorite little bands for the price of an average lunch. I still have fond memories of an Interpol show I went to in Richmond over 5 years ago. I strolled down some quiet alley, pulled out $7 in cash and walked right in. Oh, how I miss the good ol' days.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you don't like ticketmaster? for real? i actually had a pretty good experience. it couldn't have been more than 50% of the time that i had no goddamn clue what the characters were in the word verification window. is it a "C"? is it a "G"? is it a "6"? it's like a fun guessing game. only if you lose, you pay 50 bucks for a seat you didn't want. yay!

but all bitterness aside, the seats look good and i'm psyched. good work, p. in case all of your self-congrats weren't enough.

Related Posts with Thumbnails