Jan 10, 2007

Flippin' Amazing

Steve Jobs' unveiling of the iPhone this week at the Macworld conference in San Francisco probably did not come as a big surprise to a lot of people.

Most of us knew Apple's next big thing was likely going to be a mobile phone device combined with iPod technology, but I don't think any of us could have imagined what the iPhone actually is -- an easy-to-use, intuitive, and attractive megadevice (mobile phone + iPod + handheld computer) with a revolutionary multi-touch interface that runs Mac OSX. Seriously? Yes.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I've been patiently waiting for my 3rd generation iPod to kick the bucket so I can justify a a new toy, and while a memory upgrade has always been a priority for me (20 gigs is not enough!), after watching the demonstration at Macworld, I want an iPhone immediately. It also helps that my current cell phone is on its last legs, so I can justify that upgrade, too! Unfortunately, eager consumers like me will have to wait a while, as the iPhone will not begin shipping until June of this year. It will be priced at $499 for the 4 gig model and $599 for the 8 gig, which sounds like a lot but is actually bang for your buck if you consider the combination of products. My guess is that Apple's exclusive partner, Cingular, will see a surge in subscribers, and the iPhone may even persuade me to make the switch from trusty Verizon.

I don't think I've ever seen a gadget that I find so appealing and just downright badass. The "cover flow" feature is particularly amazing, as it basically allows users to browse their iPod library by album art, essentially turning it into a pocket jukebox. The phone itself boasts visual voicemail and easy conference calling. And as an 'Internet communications device,' iPhone introduces rich-text HTML e-mail, the first HTML browser (Safari) on a mobile phone, Google maps, and automatic WiFi detection.

The iPhone is a sleek 1.6 millimeters thin with a gorgeous 3.5" display, and I could babble on about the rest of its incredible features, but I'll spare you any more of my cultish Apple worship. I challenge everyone with an interest to watch Steve Jobs' iPhone introduction during the keynote address and tell me you're not sold. Even haters have to be impressed with this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The iPhone looks great in a presentation, but you never know how it will perform in the real world on a daily basis. In 2000, Sony unveiled what it thought was going to be a fantastic cell phone/music player, and it turned out to be a bust. Lets hope any iPhone kinks have been worked out before it hits the market, but you never know...

Anonymous said...

if you switch to Cingular, no one will call you since you won't be "in" anymore. also, i bet once you drop it just once you can kiss it goodbye. i bet the one they have for next year will be sweet.

Related Posts with Thumbnails