Dec 16, 2004

A mish-mash of things

This post will be a bit all over the place, but that's what you all get when you get pushy! It's funny how I kind of forget about my blog when things aren't terribly interesting, and then suddenly, as if all on the same day, I'll get some clear reminder than other people are counting on my consistent posts and that it allows people to pass the time wherever they may be. ("Dude what's the deal, it's been like 3 days.")

I'm starting to love the voicemails/e-mails/conversations that go something like this (today's was courtesy of Lo): "Hey, how are you? What's going on with you? I mean, I read your blog so I kind of know, but I thought I'd call anyway..." It's like as long as I have this blog going you don't feel so bad about not really contacting me. I'm not bitter either; I completely understand how it goes. The whole concept is just very amusing to me. How you don't really know how far your blog goes and who reads it, and then you find out about some really random person who does, and you're like, "weird." But it's cool. It's nice to have readership. That's why people do these things at all, isn't it? Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.



I will now post about my daily gym experiences. It is not difficult for my day to revolve around my gym time, as this is the one and only thing that is fairly routine for me these days. I usually like to go around 11 am, and before I do, I'll turn on our TV at home and check the guide to see what the lineup is for both Ellen DeGeneres and The View. If both of them look terrible, I can always fall back on the Price is Right. Then I'll have a solid hour to keep me entertained on the treadmill or other cardio machine. It really does make the time go by quickly, especially when it's a good show. Eleven o'clock is prime time, you see. It also falls under "unemployment hour" at the gym, when it is more or less deserted, save a few regular folks who come to work out on their lunch break. Even better is 2-3 pm, but rarely do I make that time. Ideally I would like to go at 4 pm, because I could count on Oprah to get me through the workout, but unfortunately I like to get it out of the way in the morning.

Today was an Ellen day. She's taking lessons from Oprah and doing "12 days of giveaway," which is kind of cool, and tomorrow she is revealing which celebrity has been disguising him/herself for 12 days as the giant gingerbread man. Must tune in for that one. Lindsay Lohan performed today on the show. She was awful. I think all these new school teenybopper chicks want to prove they can really sing (especially after the Ashlee Simpson fiasco), but Lindsay was just downright bad. Oh well, at least she tried and at least she sang live. Though to be truthful, I'd rather hear you lip-synch to a studio cut than make my ears bleed (That was way harsh, Tai!). On second thought, just stick to acting.

[In other quasi-teenybopper news, did anyone knows Mandy Moore is dating Zach Braff? Zach Braff (of "Garden State" fame) is like your prototypical popular geek. You know the type (think Adam Brody as another example)-- in a "normal" world he would be a skinny geek who got picked on by the "jocks," but in today's celebrity world this translates to total coolness, because everyone knows chicks dig the scrawny underdog. So now these guys are completely idolized and it's all because they're like "Me? girls? no way!" which is totally attractive in their modest, I-definitely-don't-consider-myself-cool-which-makes-me-very-cool way. But now they know they're cool for being geekish, so it's kind of annoying. Both "The OC" and "Scrubs" are excellent television shows, however, and "Garden State" was equally mesmerizing (as was its soundtrack, which everyone has undoubtedly heard by now).]

This is turning into a very bad and lengthy post.

Back to the gym... We've got our series of characters at the gym, ranging from the new young personal trainer (former gym goer turned employee), to the lady who comes in during lunch hour, and of course the older Spanish-speaking woman with a 6-pack.

I've had interesting run-ins with all of them. First was the lunch break lady. She comes in and puts in some good cardio time and then some weights, on occasion. She's kind of like this Shania Twain type, but a bit larger (by that I mean taller, more muscular). My run-in with her unfortunately was of the locker-room type. Yeah, you betcha, she was one of those "free" and "comfortable" locker room types. Very bizarre, I tell you. So unexpected, too. Honestly, would you think Shania Twain would be that type? (See, this is what you get when you demand I update. Most sincere apologies.)

Yesterday was the Spanish-speaking woman who is almost always there, and always there before I get there and still there when I leave. She kinda just hangs around, working on her guns and her six-pack. She must be in her mid-to-late 40's, maybe even 50, who knows. I guess every gym has one of those types, though. Kinda badass. She's like totally intimidating but also the nicest person ever. She started talking to me in the locker room about the weather, and how I was underdressed for it. I usually don't like to (actually, I hate it) socialize with people at the gym, particularly strangers, so I usually avoid eye contact if at all possible. But I was caught! Then she asked me about UVa, and what I was studying, and after I told her I had graduated she said she thought I was 18. That was about all. Oh, I almost forgot. She thought I was Korean, too, and then I corrected her.

Today's run-in completely initiated by me. I've had this nagging injury in my leg for the past few weeks, and I didn't know how the heck to stretch it properly, so after my short run today I decided I had to ask this new personal trainer guy. I'd seen him for a while just as a regular guy at the gym, except he was pretty hardcore-- always doing those really fancy exercises that only people who know what they're doing do. And once when he was doing this thing that made his shirt come up, I saw that he had one of those ridiculous John Basedow 6-packs. Anyway, I got to thinking he kind of knew what was going on. Next thing I know he has a job there and is a personal trainer. I think he's kind of popular with the 30+ type ladies, because he's a young guy, he's alright looking, and he's got a good body and whatever. Today one of his clients was all into him; she had burned some CDs for him and was very excited about it. I saw her drop them into his treadmill cubby thing. One of them was Maroon 5, which was totally amusing to me. But what always bothered me was that it appears his legs are shaved! Now I know if you've even gotten this far in the post, you already think I'm crazy, but really-- his legs always look smooth as silk, I can't ever spot a single hair, so it's not like he has the random Asian spotting or thin leg-hair thing happening. And he's dark-haired and light skinned, too, so it's not like I'm missing it. Could be a swimmer? Possibly, but doubtful. Even swimmers let it grow back, unless they're Michael Phelps or something. Anyway, this always made me a little wary of the guy.

Today I was desperate, though. After my run he was over on the mats reading up on his WSC manual. I was like "Excuse me, can I ask you a question?" which had to totally massage his newfound personal trainer ego. And then I proceeded to tell him where my leg hurt, and then he was totally responsive and helpful, and showed me what I should do (after throwing a bunch of technical personal trainer jargon at me, of course). So then it was cool, and I finally met him, but now it'll be one of those things where every time I see him he'll have to be like "Hey! How's the leg?!" And I'll tell him "Oh, better, great, thanks!" This should continue for some time, I figure. It already happened twice during the same gym trip today. Again, why I try to avoid conversations with strangers at the gym. I really ought to work on this antisocial thing. Maybe today was a start.

Well, on that note, I'm wrapping this one up. Look for more interesting and enlightening experiences to come. As always, thanks for reading.


Current Music: What Katie Did, by The Libertines
Current Mood: sleepy and off to bed


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails