Dec 12, 2004

Good Fortune

Yesterday we celebrated the wedding of Bao Ngoc and her husband, Chris. Let's just say it was a memorable experience all-around. I was up around 7 am (earlier than if I'd shown up for our Vietnamese school presentations! Tuti and I skipped out on those; I hope the 7-10 year olds didn't blow it for our group, because they'll probably blame me.) and at Bao Ngoc's house for the morning part of the ceremony. I was one of five bridesmaid-cousins, all dolled up in our yellow ao dais for this uber-traditional Vietnamese wedding.

Throughout the day, we all remembered to thank Bao Ngoc and Chris for "taking one for the team," knowing (or at least hoping) that the rest of us might not have to go through the traditional experience like they so bravely did. But as the eldest daughter to the eldest son in the family, she let Ông run away with this one and throw a big bash for some 220 people, most of whom Bao Ngoc had never seen before. The newlyweds told us today that some of the checks were written out "Bao Ngoc & Husband," and even some others to Ông (my grandpa)!

The morning ceremony was rather brief and low-key, and we all enjoyed some downtime before the evening festivities at Fortune in Reston. For those of you who don't know, Fortune is a chinese restaurant that represents whatever kind of tackiness you might be able to imagine. Only a week ago Bao Ngoc let us in on her fear of dancing the Cha-Cha in front of the lobster tank as her first wedding dance. (We weren't far off. She managed to avoid this, although the tank was there in all its glory.) All the kids had a laugh, though, as we seated the many guests of our very popular grandfather and waited to be introduced as members of the bridal party. One of Bao Ngoc and Chris's fondest memories undoubtedly had to be the blasting Polka music through the speakers as the new couple was introduced to all the guests to kick off the night. This was only a hint of things to come. We had to ask management to remove the special wedding archway they usually had setup (imagine the backdrop for all those studio prom photos... the white garden archway with fake flowers and ivy hanging all over it). When they said they didn't have room to put it away (we wanted it out of sight), they told us, almost in disbelief: "Everyone usually wants it, so we don't know where to put it!"

After a very heartfelt and genuine speech from my gramps, we were finally seated and began the dinner portion of the night. You know how it goes-- 7 dishes or so, each spaced out at intervals of about 10 minutes. So you're eating some jellyfish and cucumbers . . . then a big shrimp ball . . . then a piece of chicken . . . etc. By the end of it, it's taken you a couple hours and you can't even remember what you've eaten and aren't sure if you're supposed to be full. The dessert oranges are always consistent, though, and for that you cannot help but be pleased. During dinner, we were also treated to the vocal stylings of some of the best, most-sequined Vietnamese singers around, as well as my grandpa's good friend who is very passionate about his harmonica. (A few of us were lucky enough to have seen him perform last weekend, at the Falls Church fortune, for a different event hosted by my grandpa.)

After dinner & cake, they set the stage for dancing by sprinkling baby powder all over it. I guess I don't go out enough to know that this is the appropriate way to prepare a dancefloor...
Anyhow, there were more Karaoke-style performances that we enjoyed, ranging from waltzes to the tango to the cha-cha (My dad dragged me on the dancefloor for this one. I guess that's what I get for asking him how to dance.). The one-man band (a guy on a keyboard) even did a great version of "I Just Called to say I Love you," which we all know is "my song," so I pleased all the parents by smiling and singing along. (The story goes that when I was a small tot, I gave many a moving performance of this song to any and all who would listen.) The personal highlight for the kids was when they played (CD versions, thank goodness) of "(Everything I Do) I Do it For You," a Bryan Adams classic, as well as the moving "Power of Love," by Celine Dion. No sarcasm here-- we were all singing along, it was a great moment.

All in all, a long but memorable day and night, amusing and entertaining us in so many different ways. Again, my congratulations to Bao Ngoc and Chris, not only for surviving the experience, but on their marriage. My conclusion after last night (and after Kim's wedding a couple months ago) is that I'm definitely leaning toward a barefoot wedding. This 4" heel thing is just not for me.


Current Music: Greensleeves, by Kenny G
(I'm serious- my mom is blasting Kenny G Christmas music throughout the house)
Current Mood: relaxed

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

who's tuti? and yes, let's elope!

Thuy-Van said...

haha, mv expects me to "take one for the team." i just told her, "how am i going to do that? with my non-existent boyfriend?"

Anonymous said...

"After dinner & cake, they set the stage for dancing by sprinkling baby powder all over it. I guess I don't go out enough to know that this is the appropriate way to prepare a dancefloor..."

hahaha- i actually laughed out loud at that.

~Maggie

Anonymous said...

Too too funny....Poui! I laughed out loud throughout the article. My co-worker had to ask what was so funny... shhh..

Related Posts with Thumbnails