Feb 23, 2009

Week 8: Early Bird Dinner & M. Ward


This past weekend I caught my very first music show at the Sixth & I Synagogue. It was definitely a cool experience to watch a rock concert in a historic and religious building, sitting in pews instead of standing in a sweaty basement.

The show opened with the Vivian Girls, who, despite critical acclaim for their debut album, failed to inspire or move me. Their particular brand of garagey girl punk 1) was already not my speed, sound & genre-wise 2) did not sound good within the walls of the venue, and 3) reminded me of a high school talent show performance.

Luckily, I was there to see M. Ward and he did not disappoint. The show was predominately a mix of songs off his latest release, Hold Time, as well as some of my favorite tunes off of his previous album, Post-War.

While the show felt a bit short, I thought it was a great performance. It was a nice mix of his rollicking, full-band tunes alongside nice, acoustic numbers. M. Ward impressed the crowd with his guitar skills on a John Fahey number, and warmed us with his earnest and gravelly voice on some slower ballads. All in all, a great time with great company. Looking forward to my next chance to come to this venue as it is truly a unique place to enjoy music.

On an unrelated note, this week's SP is from my pre-show dinner at Westend Bistro. Now everyone knows I'm not really a dessert girl at all, but John and I really enjoyed the Apple Cobbler, and more notably the homemade vanilla ice cream that was served alongside it. The delicious meal was a great start to a fun weekend night!


7 comments:

john said...

the vanilla ice cream was incredible. also, to the vivian girls: when your bass drum is louder than your vocals, you are doing something wrong.

maitai said...

you and john are a match made in heave, truly!

Pouy said...

a match made in heave, eh?? :)

maitai said...

eff you, paco.

john said...

your comment wants to make me heave

Pouy said...

why would the comment want to do that, john? geez, can any of my friends type anymore?

john said...

i was too busy dry heaving to type correctly. lay off, dougie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails