Jan 21, 2009

Week 3: Happy Inauguration!

As everyone knows, this was a big week for the country, and especially a little place called Washington, D.C. For the long inaugural weekend, D.C. had a brief shining moment of hype, we felt cool, and everyone was talking about us!

Being here for inauguration weekend was a special experience, but after dealing with the masses, I'm glad to see all the tourists return home and allow D.C. go back to its uncool, normal self.

On Sunday, I headed down to the Mall to see the opening Inaugural celebration concert, "We are One." Despite the cold and crowd, it was a pretty exciting experience to be part of such a big scene. You could feel the excitement in the air that set the tone for the rest of the weekend.

The concert itself was not bad -- it was cool to see some of the big name acts up close and personal (on a jumbotron...), but there were definitely some awkward moments (Bald Eagle, anyone?) sprinkled in, that were as awkward to re-watch on TV as they were to see live.

On Tuesday, due to coming down with my second cold in as many weeks, I watched the Inauguration from indoors rather than battle the estimated 2 million* who braved the cold and congregated on the Mall.

All in all, it felt great to be able to witness such a big part of history right in your own backyard. I think I can speak for lots of people when I say I'm excited to see the Obamas take their place in the White House and am looking forward to what's to come.

Here's a shot of me and John on Sunday, January 18. We were en route to the "We are One" concert and stopped to take in the site of the swearing-in while we could get a close view.



I didn't get any celeb autographs and didn't hit any fancy balls, but I definitely still enjoyed the long, historic weekend! Hope you all did, too.

*If anyone has a more accurate estimate of numbers, please do share!

2 comments:

maitai said...

i've read closer to 1.5 mill. DC was cool for a minute there though! YEA!

john said...

we look like a couple of dock workers.

Related Posts with Thumbnails