May 9, 2006

Pop cult. update

Since Meevs just sent me the latest news on Britney (she's preggers, again!), I thought it was a time for a short pop culture update.

This week on TV, Jack Bauer does the improbable and manages to land a freakin' airplane on a short stretch of freeway, somehow managing to slam on the brakes before careening into a overpass without so much as a spark or small fire igniting. Thank god there are only 3 hours left, I don't know how much longer I can suspend my disbelief! (Honestly, since when is the Prez. left alone for multiple hours in a mysteriously dark room during a huge national crisis, and does he really have his own RAZR? Does 'W' text message??)

Watching this week's Iron Chef America rematch between Morimoto and Galileo's Roberto Donna was, for me, equally exhilarating as the 24 episode. My heart was actually pounding during the judging session. I was elated to see Donna come out on top after his disappointing and lackluster showing the first time around. How no one manages to accidently cut off a finger during the intense competition is still a mystery to me.

My dad is currently watching the ABC TV movie, "Fatal Contact: Bird Flu in America," centered around the "what if..." of a bird flu pandemic. All these scenarios, not to mention the gazillion number of press releases I've processed on the bird flu, are starting to freak me out a bit. They're starting to remind me of the scene in "Outbreak" when Patrick Dempsey (now known only as "McDreamy") boards the plane and spreads the virus and you can see all the particles floating through the air and infecting everyone. Way to make everyone paranoid, people!

In more serious television (not really), Katharine McPhee needs saving on American Idol. Those of you reading this within voting hours must do your best to save the only female remaining in the competition!

Scrubs alert: the Season 3 DVD was released today and Best Buy has it on sale. This is still my favorite comedy on TV; I can't think of another show that has me laughing out loud more often.

In music news, some new Radiohead tracks are floating around on the 'net, mostly from their May 6 show in Copenhagen. These guys are so the opposite of Ryan Adams that this is very exciting news for fans. Go here to find some tracks.

Finally, to round out this completely random post, here's one of the best recent open letters posted to McSweeney's:
AN OPEN LETTER TO THE OCCUPANTS OF A HOUSE ON THE NINTENDO GAME "PAPERBOY."

Oh, what I'd give for a Nintendo marathon right now!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're the second person to point out the impossibility of landing a plane on the freeway, but that's the exact reason that the interstate highway system was built by Eisenhower.

When the Federal Highway Act was created during the Cold War, the government insisted that connecting the states with the freeway system would ensure a quick evactuation for citizens if the Soviets should attack, but the real reason was to transport weapons, and land planes should we go to war.

If you ever drive down the highway, notice that every sixty miles or so (i think it's 60 miles) there is at least a one mile stretch of straight highway- that's so planes could make emergency landings if we went to war with the Soviet Union.


and that's the end of my historical geekness...

-Maggie

Related Posts with Thumbnails