May 15, 2006

Holy TV Week

Ok, I haven't been a great blogger and I'm sorry for that. The spring got me sucked into the vicious cycle of work-home-TV. Hopefully after next week, I'll be out of the rut. But in the mean time...

It's that time of year, folks... Season finales are dominating our lives, and within a few weeks when all our shows wrap we'll find ourselves flipping the channels and wondering, "What the hell do I do now?" Ah, how sad it is to realize how we let TV rule us, but soon with the good weather, we can re-devote ourselves to being more social and getting out more (or catching up on all the DVDs of the series we couldn't fit into our schedule! Kidding...). Anyway, Monday night started out what should be a fabulous week of the highly-anticipated May sweeps/finale period.


Millions of Americans breathed a sigh of relief after Bush's Immigration speech lasted less than an hour. Say whatever you want Dubya, just don't delay my "24" or "Grey's Anatomy"!! Sad, but true.

Monday's two hours of Grey's was probably the most anticipated episode the series has seen yet. After Sunday night's gripping ending, reminiscent of old ER-style drama (incidentally, ER's finale on Thursday also includes a hospital shooting), everyone tuned in to see what would happen to Burke and Denny, and whether my-scrubs-are-too-tight Izzie would lose her job over all of it. The episode lived up to all the hype, and as usual, I found myself wiping up tears at the end. I'm still amazed that a show with such an unlikeable title character -- Ellen Pompeo as Meredith Grey -- can be so popular. (For those of you who never saw Ellen Pompeo get Punk'd, it doesn't do much to improve her image, and it's actually a pretty poor Punk'd; sorry Ashton) Maybe it's that they cast such great guys to play opposite her -- ummm Hello Chris O'Donnell, thanks for crawling out from under that rock, and don't worry if you haven't shaved in awhile, we like you with the scruffy face!

In contrast, 24 messes with my emotions in a completely different way. It's a totally ADD-driven show and since everything happens so quickly, it leaves no time for you to register a death, an injury, a big reveal, or really anything significant. Again, can I remind everyone that President Palmer, Michelle Dessler, Tony Almeida and Edgar all died this season? Forgive me if I'm leaving out other significant characters; my brain is so fried from the drama that I can't keep everyone's fates in order. You're turning us all into robots, Jack! Shed some tears, or for crying out loud, find a hot pocket or cup noodles and eat something, you must be starving! Forget being trapped on an island, everyone at CTU could stand to get some food deliveries from the well-nourished bunch on Lost.

Tonight's Idol was also a goodie, and I was glad to see McPhee return to her old form with a beautiful rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow." So she can be a little too big for her britches and she's had her off moments, but when she's on, she's really the best, and come on-- did you really want Daughtry to be THE Idol? He'll be fine on his own selling millions of hard rock albums. And if not, he always has Fuel (or maybe even Creed!). Either way, guess we can look forward to a thrilling Taylor Hicks/Katharine McPhee final next week!

To conclude, I know House is like the best show ever, and while I've seen a couple episodes and enjoyed it, I'm no regular and thus cannot comment on what a great season it's been. BUT, I can contribute a fun link to Tweevs and her sneaky L.A. adventure to the House Soundstage... What fun!

1 comment:

maitai said...

ummmm wow. i hate ellem pompeo. not only was that the WORST prank ever, but ellem pompeo is a pompous ass! her mannerisms and the way she talks annoy the crap out of me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails