Jan 23, 2006

One more for January 24.

While swimming in a sea of chick-music enthusiasm last night, I forgot about another great music release for tomorrow. Before Colin Meloy ruled as head Decemberist and was a dorky college student in Montana, he was in a band called Tarkio. Now, riding the waves of the Decemberists' fame, Kill Rock Stars is releasing a compilation of 2-disc set of the entire Tarkio catalog, entitled Omnibus, which promises to be as delightful while possibly more folky/acoustic/underproduced than what we know the Decemberists to be.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

As a sampler track, I'll post a link to the first song I heard from Tarkio. Being the scholarly and well-read English major that he is, Colin Meloy penned a song called "Tristan and Iseult," which, as the upcoming major motion picture tells us, can also be spelled Isolde. Incidentally, the theme for that movie is a completely different song performed by Gavin DeGraw. Oh well. Here's your Tarkio preview. I'll have more to say once my pre-order comes in. Amazon.com says they only have 3 left in stock!

Tarkio :: Tristan and Iseult

In unfortunate news, I'll be missing Colin Meloy (with Laura Veirs opening) at the Birchmere this weekend (TĂȘt -- Vietnamese New Year -- takes precedence over all!), so I guess listening to this new CD will have to make up for it. And as I'm slowly beginning to feel a concert void in my life, I'm still looking for that first good live show to properly kick off 2006...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails