Jul 5, 2005

Well, I shuffled through the city on the 4th of July...

So I'm a little tardy on this one, but it's not too late for me to make a nice patriotic music recommendation-- Ryan Adams, Gold (2001).

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Ok, so the album cover is probably the most overtly patriotic part about it, but there are plenty of other snippets within the music that you should also enjoy. For you Ryan Adams naysayers, I've attached a couple samplers.

The first is the obviously appropriate tune, "Firecracker," a nice little upbeat song highlighted by lots of harmonica:
hxxp://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2EKR1E2FN5PAM3UFK4MFU93NVF

Next we have my favorite song on the disc, "La Cienega Just Smiled," a heart-wrenching ballad with some of the best lyrics around:
hxxp://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=11V0AC84W376L2ACZP23HIZ8CU

Here's my favorite bit:

And I hold you close in the back of my mind
Feels so good but damn it makes me hurt
And I'm too scared to know how I feel about you now
La Cienega just smiled..."see ya around"
And I hold you close in the back of my mind
And raise my glass 'cause either way I'm dead
Neither of you really help me to sleep anymore
One breaks my body and the other breaks my soul
La Cienega just smiles as it waves goodbye


If you like what you hear, do yourself a favor and get this album. It was kind of written off as his "mainstream" album, a bit more poppy and produced than his prior work, but that doesn't mean it's still not fantastic. In fact, it actually means this album comes highly recommended as a nice introduction to his music if you've never heard it before. And you should. But you probably don't need (or want) to hear me say that again...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails