Apr 10, 2005

"Time has told me not to ask for more. Someday our ocean will find its shore." -Nick Drake

I just had the most wonderful Sunday afternoon. After missing Laura out at bars last night (11 missed calls from Lo within an hour or so, to be specific), I decided to drive out to Chevy Chase today to hang out with her. She suggested that instead of the ol' played out cherry blossoms downtown, we head to Kenwood, a beautiful residential neighborhood in Chevy Chase that apparently is much less crowded and far more breathtaking than the touristy Tidal Basin.

Well, after all the talk and hype, she was right. It was incredible. The trees lined every street in the neighborhood and created this canopy effect, which is how I imagine the entrance to heaven might appear. I know, cheesy, but there's really no other way for me to convey the overwhelming sense of peace and nature that I felt while walking the streets. And the abundance of blossoms were like big snowy bushes that every now and then littered petals like flurries onto the streets below. (Never fear, photos to come as soon as Laura sends them to me...although I should say this was definitely one of those times when a photo could not do the experience justice). After each street turn I would say "Oh my god, look down this one," or "This is unbelievable!" As I passed by beautiful home upon beautiful home, each distinct in its style-- my favorite was a yellow-painted brick Victorian style with wrap-around porch-- it was like I was in a fantasy neighborhood. It had all the trappings of Wisteria Lane, but was actually more amazing for its full-blooming trees and kids with lemonade and cookie stands. (After passing by countless vendors, we finally gave in to some adorable girls whose food & beverage proceeds were going to Children's Hospital.)

Anyway, it was the perfect way to spend a surprisingly summer-like April Sunday: strolling through the streets with friends, enjoying Chocolate Eclairs and Strawberry Shortcake bars from the ice cream man, and picking out our dream homes.

Then, to top off the day, I came home to enjoy another wonderfully landscaped piece of nature-- Augusta National. Let's tip our hat to Tiger for putting together another brilliant performance. Seriously now, that chip at 16 was ridiculous. Golf is so funny. Such a wide open space, such a small ball, and for all the places for it to go, it wanders into the tiny hole. Gotta love the seeming impossibility of it. Oh, The Masters...truly a tradition unlike any other. And that, my friends, is what I consider a near-perfect Sunday.


Current Music: Time has told me, by Nick Drake
Current Mood: content

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails