Jun 13, 2010

Sunday night lazy dinner: Homemade Pizza Company

Back in January, when Homemade Pizza Company opened a new location just around the corner on 14th Street, I was intrigued though I knew nothing about it. But when I mentioned the take-and-bake pizza joint to a couple of friends, they said they swore by it and would travel all the way from Capitol Hill to the Mass. Ave. location just to get their fix. Once I tried my first slice, I understood why.

The concept of Homemade Pizza Co. is unique -- they prepare the pizza with fresh and natural ingredients, then you take it home and pop it in the oven. Most of Homemade Pizza Co.'s critics don't have bad things to say about the taste of the pizza, but about the fact that you shouldn't have to pay so much for pizza that you have to cook yourself at home. While that point may be valid, for about $14 for a large (after you consider the $3-$5 coupons that are almost always available via e-mail subscription), this is leaps and bounds better than any delivery pizza that will cost you the same, if not more. (While the Logan Circle location doesn't deliver yet, since it's literally a two minute walk from my place, going to pick it up is a quicker option anyway.)

Tonight, after browsing the menu and seeing the current seasonal option, Sunday night dinner was decided. The "Backyard Griller" description sounded delicious: The fire-cooked tastes of BBQ Chicken with hickory-smoked bacon, sweet Vidalia onions and the subtle kick of Thai chilies on an olive oil base. We'd enjoyed previous experiences with the traditional BBQ Chicken pizza, but adding spicy thai chili peppers and bacon sounded like an exciting new take on an old favorite.



The online ordering system is user-friendly and links up directly to a personal account, which tracks all your previous orders that apply to future coupons/free pizzas.  The staff at our neighborhood Homemade Pizza Co. have always been extremely friendly and helpful, so for that alone, I'll keep coming back.

One of the things I love best about Homemade Pizza Co. is how the dough cooks. The crust has a perfect crunch, and the rest of the pizza is doughy but crisp enough that it doesn't flop or lose all its ingredients when you pick it up. Plus, it tastes fresh and not at all greasy compared to other available options.



John (Mr. "I've never met a pizza I didn't like") and I were very pleased with our decision to order  the seasonal special. When I first glanced at the uncooked pizza, I worried that the spice of the thai chilies would overwhelm everything else, but it turns out it was just the right amount -- enough for a kick but not tongue-numbing, flavor-killing spice. The bacon -- which is usually a center stage ingredient -- actually seemed to play second fiddle to the BBQ chicken and sweet onions, but when I had a good bacony bite, it was a nice surprise of crispy pork flavor.



When I'm feeling too lazy to cook, Homemade Pizza Co. is a great go-to for an easy but delicious Sunday night meal!

More images on Flickr.

1 comment:

maitai said...

sounds promising! i'm very picky about my pizza though, so i'm skeptical! must try it sometime.

Related Posts with Thumbnails