Jul 14, 2009

Week 28: The Wire

This week I'll take a break form the usual excitement and plug a TV show I've been watching while sitting on my butt. In case you haven't heard of it, The Wire is a police crime drama set in Baltimore, Maryland. It originally aired on HBO for five seasons and has been widely acclaimed as the best TV show ever (or substitute any other similar hyperbolic statement). As one who usually gives in to this type of media hype, I thought I should check it out. A friend of mine was kind enough to lend me the entire series on DVD, so for the past few weeks John and I have been tuning in. The past few days have been particularly productive (or unproductive, depending on how you look at it!). From Thursday night through Sunday, we got through all of season 2 (twelve episodes) and the first three episodes of season 3.

While parts of the show are pretty violent and graphic, and though sometimes I don't understand all of the plot intricacies, the show is pretty addicting, mostly for the well-developed characters. It's definitely interesting and eye-opening to see all the crazy stuff that happens on a day-to-day basis in city that's so close to here. Also, the complexities of the "war on drugs" have always intrigued me, so this is just further education. Anyway, shouldn't be long before we finish all five seasons! Stay tuned for the verdict.

1 comment:

maitai said...

i've heard it's a pretty accurate depiction of baltimore as a city, too. scary!

Related Posts with Thumbnails