Apr 2, 2006

Cherry Blossom 10 Miler, take 2...

Today was my second go-round of the Cherry Blossom 10 Mile run around D.C. to celebrate the fully blossomed cherry trees around town. I woke up around 6 am along with Huan, Molly, Auddie, and Tim (Molly's bro) to do what we do best-- err, not really, but at least we try hard.

This year was instantly ten times better than last year's race because it was a most beautiful spring day-- sunny, slightly breezy and probably about 60 degrees at race time. You really couldn't have asked for better running conditions, and compared with last year's frigid chill and wind, it was really a pleasant run (as evidenced by my reaction below... just what am I doing??)

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I was slightly concerned about my race preparation, if only because I'd been away on a ski trip and not exactly focusing on my training. Aside from my semi-routine runs before work, I hadn't really gutted anything out this time around. But I guess I'm beginning to realize that even if I don't have a strict training regimen, I can still count on finishing ten miles-- it's just how well and how fast that may vary-- and I have to say, that's a pretty cool feeling.

Anyway, the race went well and I felt great the whole way. My pace wasn't spectacular, but it was about expected, and I really didn't mind because I was actually enjoying myself throughout the long course. Unlike last year, I really took in all the sights and my surroundings, especially all the beautiful blossoms everywhere around me! It was just a perfect day, really!

Now for some post-race pics (thumbails again, sorry!):

The runners and our devoted fans.
It's crazy enough that people pay money to wake up at the crack of dawn to go running, but even crazier that they have people who support them! Thanks guys!!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Three sibs.
Auddie got contacts!! (Is it just me or do we look like we're the same age?)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


The rents.
Look at those blossoms!!!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


Finally, a big happy 80th birthday to my G-ma Ba Noi, and also happy birthday wishes to my uncles Chu Ban and Bac Bao!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Happy Spring to all! The idea that I will be able to leave work and still enjoy some sunshine is enough to put a smile on my face. Time to put those scarves away and pull out the flip flops, yippee!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails