Oct 14, 2006

Domaine de Pouy

As someone who has dealt with name issues for as long as I can remember, I'm always looking out for books (see Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake) or other pubs that detail modern identity questions and issues.

Thanks to Huan, I read another such
article on the topic in the New York Times last week, which should be read by anyone who has ever had any issues with their "foreign" name, whether self-inflicted or a product of daily life. As someone who talks frequently with new and different clients daily at work, I'm constantly reminded of how unusual my name really is, even in spite of some complimentary reactions to it. Nevertheless, I'm still happy about the decision I made, and this article helped me realize that I'm obviously not the only one. It discusses how in today's age, it's quite common to hear immigrants and children of immigrants going by their "real" names rather than Americanized adaptations or even other, unrelated American selections (e.g., "Melissa").

So despite the fact that Pouy is neither my real name nor anything Americanized, I've never felt a name suited me better, and at the end of the day, I think that's what counts.


And heck, I have a wine named in my honor, what could be cooler?


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails