Jun 29, 2006

Door-to-door scam

So tonight after dinner, some random teenage girl rings the doorbell and launches into a little pitch that goes something like, "Hi, I'm going on a trip to Mexico and I'm trying to raise money, would you like to buy some candy?" So my dad comes back into the house and, being the good samaritan that he is, grabs his wallet and some cash.

Auddie and I go back out to the front so we can at least scout out the candy, and after some arguing (Snickers vs. Skittles vs. Starburst vs. others that weren't even in the running), we agree that we like Starburst. My dad has already handed her some money, and she meekly says, "Ok, you want Starburst?" And we all reluctantly respond, "Uh, yeah, is that ok?" And then she slowly hands us
a Starburst package and just stands stands there, and we stand there, as if expecting something else, and eventually it gets awkward enough that she turns around and walks away (with my dad yelling after her, "Ok, have a good trip!!")

After we get back into the house, we realize we've given this girl $8 and all she offered us was a single bar of candy. Upon hearing this news, my mom becomes slightly upset, as clearly we've been ripped off by this 14-year-old scam artist (or rather, a really terrible salesperson -- or a really good one, depending on your perspective).

My mom says, "
Uh, hello? Auddie, why don't you just go next door saying, 'Hi, I'm going to Bermuda, can I have some money?'" She suggested the following questions for the next time we found ourselves in a similar situation: "Who are you? Where do you live? What school do you go to? And why are you going to Mexico?" It's true, we should have been more inquisitive. But this is Springfield, and it was candy, and my dad answered the door. So we paid $8 for a pack of Starburst, which I will cherish every moment of, and all I have left to say is that girl better be going to Mexico, and I hope she sends us a postcard for all we've done.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails